Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

replacement pickups for Lakland 5501

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassmangreg, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Are there any direct replacement pickups for the Lakland 5501?

2. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I believe the 55-01 accepts Bartolini P2 and P4 pups as well as the Seymour Duncan ASB-5.

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
  4. I tried to find a picture of the Seymour Duncan ASB-5, but couldn't. Are they simular to the Lakland barts in looks?

5. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Photo: http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/imagepages/asb-5_asb-6.shtml

Description: http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/bassesdescr.shtml#asb5

Found most of this info out while looking into a 55-01 myself. What do you think of yours, aside from the pups/etronics? I'm seriously considering selling my Legend 5 for a 55-01. I love the Legend's sound (the B string is really nice for the money), but the string spacing is too narrow for me, and the neck just seems a bit rubbery to me.

Besides, I have a set of Fender Roscoe Beck 5 pups that I've been jonesing to put in a bass. They will fit perfectly with just a bit of extra routing. Taking into account my desire for wide bridge spacing, a 35" scale, a Fender-esque design and a reasonable price (< $700) the 55-01 seems the best choice. How's the playability, durability and fretwork on yours?

6. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I'll respond to that. I love the 55-01...can't imagine getting another bass unlike it. I to tried out the Spector but like you found the spacing to narrow...as all the other basses I tried out. The neck on the 55-01 is wide and plenty of room to really get in between and dig when I play metal. Feel of the neck is very solid as well, evne at the first fret at the end where it seems to me some basses just feel like they are giving up tension when I grab a hold of it down there.. I had an Ibanez BTB 510, which felt very thin and soft compared to this...it's a great feel to it as well, fast. The "B" is TIGHT! I detune down to "A" actually and it is still right there and not mushy. The only complaint I have with it is that when playing with the other guys I find the third string loses volume, however, I'm sure it is because of my amateur hour set up skills. I would like to hear some hotter pups in it though, as in the Seymour Duncans. That remains to be seen, no money for proper set up by someone who knows. Hope that helps...best thing is go out and try one...with what you say you are looking for I don't think you'll be displeased.

7. Everyone that handles the bass ( not too many!) feels the same way I did when I first picked it up - fits like a glove.

Unfortunately, I have this old Peavey T40 dual humbucker monster, so I'm terribly used to a real " ballsy" sound. The 55-01 with the Korean MK1's just doesnet do that well enough, for me anyway. I'm looking for an easy replacement which works with the NTMB pre. The other thing is that the highs are really high. I wouldn't mind a bit of a cut in high end, as it is I never have the treble knob at 0, always rolled off a bit, and sometimes all the way.

SD's huh?

8. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have no idea how they sound, except that some have said they sound a lot like Bartolini, but the new Carvin soapbar pickups appear to be the same size - 1.25" x 4.25". Some people don't like their other pickups, but I've heard these are better than their older models. I'm not endorsing them or anything, just pointing out another potential option.

They aren't on the Carvin website yet, but are in the catalog.

9. lillinator

lillinator

Jul 28, 2008
    Get some nordstrand big singles or fat stacks. Fit nicely and have great growl. I have a set of big singles with matching preamp in my laky and love it!