Replacement pickups for MIM Jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fat jonny, Dec 13, 2000.

1. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    I am getting a MIM Jazz bass very soon and I have heard that a lot of people end up replacing the pickups first thing. Also, I have heard that the stock pickups are noisy and I can't stand noise, so I am planning on replacing them. I play 80's metal and hard rock mostly, and I want a pretty grungy tone with a lot of dirt in it. Also, I want a lot of bottom end and a snarly top. That's the best way I can describe it. I read the Article in BP about Jazz pickups, but with their descriptions I couldn't really picture what it would sound like. Anyone's suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!
  2. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Try a search. I think this one was answered once.
  3. I heard that you might have to get a new pickguard if you replace the neck pickup in the MIM Jazz Basses, and possible make the area bigger. I don't have one, but that's what I heard. Good Luck!
  4. All you got to know. $90 for the pair at Musician's Fiend, humbucking split-coils, sound cool. I love mine. Waiting on the second set to come in for my Squier Jazz.

5. yeah, i'd have a look at the Dimarzio's ,, i asked that question about a month ago and decided on the DP149's ultar j bass

i've got my bass at overwater here in england,, and it should be ready in a few days,, i'm getting a series/parrallel switch fitted to get the biggest tonal spectrum possible,, they got a lot of bang for tyhe dough

my best piece of advice would be, even tough people say that you'll have to enlarge routes and replace the pickguard,, it's not always necasarry
    i've got a MIA california series j bass that share similar size routes , but i was told that these would need to be enlarged ( on here) and when i took it to overwater they said that it didn't need to be done,, they'd fit in
    at the end of the day, all fenders will have sharpe frets bows and will ultimately need a good setup

i'd get it to a very good luither and spend some money getting the neck taken off, frets filled , and any bows sorted,, cos no pickups will sound any better trhan stock if u leave in in "fender" finished state

mine needed all of the above and a shim in the neck to be angled bak just so i had some height to play with on the G saddle

nohanjes likes this.
  6. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    Dimarzio Ultra Jazz !!!! :) big bottom and crunchy top

or maybe EMG jazzbass set, the custom shop made a special jazzbass pickups with the same size so they can fit to MIM jazzbass without modification :)
    anyway, I use EMG on my MIM jazzbass, and it's really2 COOL !?!?!?!

7. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Whoa - EMG makes a direct replacement for MIM Jazzes? Do you have to buy them from the company direct, or would I be able to find them in stores?
  8. whats the point in buying pickups that are the same as your taking out,, the mim uses two neck pickups and they sound pants,, i've just got my bass back with the ultra jazz pickups in and i love them, there beefy and clean very quiet , except for some hum i get from the ****ty lead i've got,, but there silent with a decent one,,

go for something like the dimarzio's either the dp123 or the 149's

my bass now sounds much better and more "expensive" if that really matters
  9. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    So does that mean that to replace the pickups I will need to rout the body? I have heard some people say that you do and some people say you don't. Does it depend on the pickups? Thanks.
  10. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    fat jonny

the fender MIM jazzbass has two pickups that has a same size, so the neck pu size is wider from the MIA jazzbass pickup and the bridge pickup size is the same with MIA jazzbass.

So if you make a change with a jazzbass replacement you don't have to make a route, the neck pickup will fit coz the hole on your bass is wider than the pickup.

Oddentity : You have to contact the company directly to order a custom MJ J-SET
  11. OK people, I haven't seen anyone write exactly what I have done, so here it is. I put Dimarzio DP123's on my MIM Jazz.

I installed the pickups myself. The neck pickup is no problem, the route is already oversized, you will probably have to trim the pickguard a little with a knife or file or sandpaper. No problem, only takes 5 minutes.

The bridge pickup route is just a tad bit too small for the new pickup. It does not need to be routed, but it does have to be lengthened just a tad. I used a 1/2 inch hand wood chisel and just scraped the ends of the route til it was big enough. You only have to remove the paint and about 1/16 inch worth of wood. This only took 5 minutes. I don't own a router, and the wood chisel worked great.

12. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA

I was gonna stay out of this thread (because I have nothing to add), but I was shocked by that photograph... yikes!
  13. i got a 98 mim jazz and also have a set of 2000 am std jazz pickups. will i have to do any chopping? anyone done this?
  14. Hey Throb! Nice axe!
    Check out mine!

Look familiar? BTW, I put Fender Custom Shop 60's pickups in my MexiJazz. They make this bass sound like an authentic Fender jazz bass SHOULD!
  15. highway1

Apr 10, 2011
    I just dropped a pair of Stewart Mcdonald Golden Age pup in my '98 MIM and you will NOT have to do anything to the pickgaurd or either mounting hole.

Who ever said that MIM's have the same size pick up is simply incorrect.
  16. domdec314

domdec314 Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    Wow, you just revived a decade old thread.
  17. impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    yes the were the same size for a while. not sure when but around the time this thread was started. i had a midnight blue jazz, I think it was stock with strat knobs, and it had 2 pups same sized.

at some point they went to 2 diff size like mia, and to jazz knobs.
  18. Wanna try that again? :confused:

How much does anyone wanna bet that 'fat jonny' has by now been married and maybe divorced and sold all his gear to pay the alimony and is living under a bridge in LA and stands on a corner spit shining the windshields on cars when they stop for a red light?

This was (what?) almost eleven years ago?
  19. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Odd, I've got 3 mim j basses and all 3 have a longer pup in the bridge position than in the neck position.

One has the OEM pups, one has an OEM neck and (unknown make) aftermarket bridge, and the third one has a set of Dimarzio model j's and none of them have 2 neck pickups in them.

As far as that goes, you can't put any of the neck pups I have in any of the bridge cutouts in any of the 3 MIM j bodies.

As for the op's question regards aftermarket pups, I really like my model J's. Almost too boomy, but with a good EQ/tone section on your amp they will bring plenty thunder and still have good mid and high definition.