Replacement Pickups for Modulus

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Mar 22, 2001.

1. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Hey Hey, its me :D Anyways. I got my Modulus Quantum 5(Pre Truss Rod) and I <U>DO NOT</U> like the EMG ^^(im not an EMG fan obviously). I'm thinking of changing the Pickups to Seymour Duncan Bassline preamp/pickup.. I'm looking for more of a "P-nut" tone which i really like. THese EMGs on the Modulus isn't bad.. Its just not my type of sound. I have a SEymour Duncan on my Salas Custom 4 and i really love it.. so thats why im thinking of getting a Seymour Duncan Bassline for it. But then again, the body/neck etc.. is WAY different. Any suggestions on pickups for Modulus?
  2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    P-Nut tone out of a modulus? Uhmm I think his tone is more warwick-related.
    Anyway. If I were you ; I would opt for a Bartolini Set with the NTMB electronic system.
  3. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    I personallly never tried any Barts yet.. but I've loved the Seymour Duncans on my Salas doh ^_^; But i'll look in to Bartolinis with the Bart preamp :D Thanks Ifabara.. now the DPCUSTOM master.. not Cort Curbow master heh :D
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador

I think Im very enthusiastic with everything I own.

Remember Im still a Cort Curbow Family Man!!!
    (Im just having an affair with my Omega Bass 6.. [DPCUSTOM[)

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Like ive said in 10000 IMs, youll never get P-Nut tone, even from his bass!

Firstly, if you know you like the SDs, just put those in. Theyll sound great. Hearing Barts on a Pedulla is not like hearing Barts on a Modulus. Try the SDs if you know you like them! Somewhat contradictory points, but still.

Secondly, your amp isn't the best amp for EMGs. A cabinet as sterile as a Trace Elliot doesnt work with a "sterile" neck and "sterile" pickups. Maybe after you invest in some pickups, invest in a "warmer" sounding cabinet, such as Eden.

Try the SDs! Im curious! Can't go wrong with Barts, but the SDs are cheaper anyway.
  7. Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA

I've been looking at quantums lately and, as you know, Modulus offers a few options on pickups and preamps, so I've tried a few combinations.

I, too, found that I don't like the EMG's, but I really love the Barts --particularly with the 3-band eq. I liked the Barts both with the wood and with the composite fretboard. Much warmer and more ballsy to me than the EMGs.

Good Luck!!
  8. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Saint: Thanks ^_^ I guess I might go for Barts then.. *Smacks Angus* b@stardo! ANYWAYS.. i said I want a sound CLOSE to it. and I know EMGs aren't the way to go to get that kind of Sound -_-
  9. I have a Genisis5 w\barts + active pre and it's pure sweetness....I also have a jazz special frettless (P+J)with EMG's:) :)thats equally sweet but different...THEY ARE NOT STERILE SOUNDING.and they have MORE BALLS than anything else out there. ever played them wired for 18v??mmmmmm wonder why the other p\u makers are goin with a 18v option???this is not meant to sound like a bitchfest but I read enough trash talk about EMG's..if we did'nt have companys(pioneers) like EMG and Alembec there would be no Bartolini or any other active p\u makers for that matter.EMG's are a different flavor(kinda like GUINESS STOUT)they're an aquired taste but they are a great p\u that are as warm and un-sterile sounding as the amp they're played thru or the hands that play' that I'm done bitchin'..nino-brown....turn that frown's all good:)