1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacement pickups for Music Man Bongo 6?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ivan.Lt, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Ivan.Lt

Ivan.Lt

Jan 18, 2011
    Hi,

I like the acoustic tone of my MM Bongo 6 but amplified it has too much bite. Are there drop-in replacement pickups (neck humbucker, bridge single coil) that will sound more neutral, less "Musicman"? Thanks.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    Doubtful, and you're mostly hearing that rather complex preamp anyway.

3. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Send a message to Maurilio, here on TB. Or send a message to Nordstrand. They will help you out for sure :)

You can get a sort of ''vintage'' sound with there pups and still sound clear.

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I second this. The preamp is fairly aggressive and has a rather high treble frequency, IMO. I'd think that a different preamp would be the way to go.

If you then decide to sell the Bongo preamp, let me know - I've been itching for a 4-band for my build.

5. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Yeah, if you decide to swap the preamp you'd be able to sell it in a hurry - without question.

6. Ivan.Lt

Ivan.Lt

Jan 18, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. If it's the preamp and it's that good (I've never been a MM fan, sorry) maybe I'll try bypassing it altogether. Do you think the pickups will work well passive? It doesn't cost anything to try anyway.

7. Ivan.Lt

Ivan.Lt

Jan 18, 2011
    Was that tongue in cheek or I should indeed contact those gentlemen? Sorry, I'm a rare visitor here and will not tell an inside joke. BTW I have bought Bongo 6 specifically because of its clear sound. Chords are heavenly beautiful, I only wish for less of that midrange bite.

8. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    also doubtful; MM pickups tend to be really "integrated" into the preamp design, to where each doesn't sound right without the other.

as powerful as the EQ is on those things, i'm surprised you're struggling to get a sound you like out of it.

9. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I own a Bongo 5er HH, and IMHO no one buys a Bongo and changes the pu, it's part of what makes a bongo a bongo, nothing else sounds like one! My other bass has Nordy Big Singles, and that's a totally different tone! Please don't mess that bass up changing the pu, if you want a different tone get a different bass for it, that's what I did, now I have the best of both worlds!

10. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Only contact them if you want them :) But tell me, how can you play a MM Bongo 6 if you are not a MM fan?

11. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    They do play and balance exceptionally well. As well, he liked the acoustic tone. Electronics can be swapped, so they're never the big selling point for me (although I REALLY like that 4-band preamp).

12. Ivan.Lt

Ivan.Lt

Jan 18, 2011
    Perhaps this analogy will explain: palm muting on an electric can be a decent imitation of the upright bass but the real upright gives that sound naturally without effort. With the Bongo, I'm constantly "palm muting", so to speak, which I would rather not do if there's a way.

I do admit, quite readily, that it's a classy instrument with a character. With this purchase, playability and clarity were the determining factors, not the MM vibe.

Well, I see now that the Bongo should be left as it is and I'll get a new bass. Thanks to everyone!

13. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    good analogy
    it is a pretty distinctive instrument, and not for everybody (i could never use one).

14. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    I respect your decision about the bass :) Do you have any idea what bass you will buy?

15. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Are you trying to sound like an upright?

What kind of strings are you using? Have you thought about flatwounds?

Electric basses used to use foam mutes to simulate that upright thump (not that uprights sound like that), so you can also try that.

16. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    He likes the sound acoustically. By "palm muting" he means whatever he has to do to dial in the sound he wants which he'd rather have it sound how he wants without that effort.

17. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    OK, well palm muting will change the acoustic tone as well...

But if the bass sounds very different amplified, then that's an issue with the pickups/preamp, which is what he was saying.

I was pointing out however that different strings might make up for the pickups, i.e., if the pickups are very bright, try darker sounding strings.

18. Ivan.Lt

Ivan.Lt

Jan 18, 2011
    No idea yet, I was thinking about the Patitucci-advertised Yamaha TRB, tried a baritone Fender VI. Would love any advice.

Yes, precisely. You got the analogy.

With regard to the strings, Funnyfingers, I need the roundwound zing. No need for the Bongo to sound like an upright since I already have two.

19. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Well you got yourself a bass with 26 frets if you buy that one :p:D

Fender VI isn't a real bass in my opion, but who am I to judge? ;)

I could recommend you Ibanez, they make some fine Premium and Prestige basses. The Soundgear 5006e OL is a very nice choice. Mahogany body, Wengé top and back, 5 pcs Wengé / Bubinga neck, Wengé fretboard, 24 frets, Monorail 4 bridge, custom Bartolini pickups, Power Curve III 3-band eq w/Eq bypass switch.

The Ibanez Grooveline is a good choice too : Alder body, Ash top and back, 5 pcs Wengé / Bubinga neck, Rosewood fretboard, 22 frets, Tight-End Bass 6 bridge, CAP Sonic Arch6 pickups, E6 3-band eq w/Eq bypass switch.

Or if you like neckthrough basses, you could take a look at their new BTB 140xe line.

Mahogany wing body with flamed maple top, 7 pcs Maple/Bubinga/Walnut neckthrough construction, Rosewood fretboard, 24 frets, Monorail 4 bridge, Nordstrand Big Single pickups, E6 3-band eq w/Eq bypass switch.

20. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Back in the day I knew several bassists who swapped out their MM pups for Bartolinis and had good results. Not sure if Bartolini makes a wide apeture pup like that, but the US Bartolinis tend do add a darker tone (some of the imports don't do that as much).