Replacement pickups for Rickenbackers

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Intrepid, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Any good replacement p/u's for Rick 4003s?
  2. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Bartolini makes a good replacement pup for Ricx 4003. You can also find some old Alembic replacements if you look around.
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I think Seymour Duncan/Basslines makes one as well. I don't know how well any of them work, as I've only played stock Rics.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    But why? The Ric's factory pickups are the majority of "the" Ric sound - why would you want to change them?

(I feel the same way about MMs...)
  5. Maybe he likes the feel and appearance of the Ric, but not the tone.

Hell, the peaky, trebly, noisy pickups are the majority of a Stratocaster's sound, and what guitarists don't consider changing them out at some point or another?
  6. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The humbucker pickups in the 4004 Chayenne fits right in to the later 4003:s. You can always try one of those to see if you like their sound. Personaly I prefer the somewhat fatter sound of the humbuckers.
    I´ve never tried Rickenbackers horseshuepickup but everyone who has, raves about it.
  7. YIKES!!!

Two basses I would never want to alter;the Rickenbacker and the MM Stingray/Sterling.
    Why mess with a classic signature sound???

:confused: :eek: :(
  8. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    if you have a 4001 i highly recommend the third capacitor bypass surgery. this little modification is discussed on the ricknbacker thread in the basses forum. otherwise i played a rick 4001 with SD. they are way louder than stock pickups. they are humbuckers and the stock pickups are single coils. if in the future one of my stock pickup will die i'll order a Seymour duncan. for now i'm hapy with my stock instrument.
  9. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
  10. Hey Max,

What color did you get your 4003 in? I`m partial to the Fireglo and the Autumglo(not sure they make that color anymore). :cool: