Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement Pickups in Essex Basses

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Razor, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Trying to see who has changed out the pickups in their Essex basses...and what the change was.
    I replaced the split-coil P in my Essex "Franken-P" with a Seymour-Duncan QTR-Pounder (Thanks for the recommendation SMASH) and that bass friggin' rocks now. Really hot pickup that cuts through. I have an Essex Jazz that totally needs a pickup change and was wondering also if anyone's done it with one of the Jazz models and can give some info. IMHO the stock Essex pickups should go for around 5 bucks at 7-11 or something. Guess I shouldn't have expected much though but for the money I'm still impressed with the basses.:bassist:

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    That's surely something I hadn't thought of/will have to look into. Worst case senario being I do have to change the P-Up's....what would be a good recommendation from you to get an "authentic" 70's Jazz sound? I was thinking the Jazz QTR-Pounders simply because of the success I had with that P bass but I am wondering if it'll be an authentic sound. Since I don't have, and never have had a 70's Jazz I honestly don't know what the authentic sound is.:D

3. I've used the SD vintage stacked humbucking Jazz Bass pickups and I think they are a reasonably good representation of the 70's J sound...without the 60 cycle hum. The are not, however, hot pickups by any means.