Replacement Pickups in Essex Basses

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Razor, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Trying to see who has changed out the pickups in their Essex basses...and what the change was.
    I replaced the split-coil P in my Essex "Franken-P" with a Seymour-Duncan QTR-Pounder (Thanks for the recommendation SMASH) and that bass friggin' rocks now. Really hot pickup that cuts through. I have an Essex Jazz that totally needs a pickup change and was wondering also if anyone's done it with one of the Jazz models and can give some info. IMHO the stock Essex pickups should go for around 5 bucks at 7-11 or something. Guess I shouldn't have expected much though but for the money I'm still impressed with the basses.:bassist:

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    That's surely something I hadn't thought of/will have to look into. Worst case senario being I do have to change the P-Up's....what would be a good recommendation from you to get an "authentic" 70's Jazz sound? I was thinking the Jazz QTR-Pounders simply because of the success I had with that P bass but I am wondering if it'll be an authentic sound. Since I don't have, and never have had a 70's Jazz I honestly don't know what the authentic sound is.:D

3. I've used the SD vintage stacked humbucking Jazz Bass pickups and I think they are a reasonably good representation of the 70's J sound...without the 60 cycle hum. The are not, however, hot pickups by any means.