Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement Pickups Jazz - Active

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Eric1977, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Eric1977

Eric1977

Jan 19, 2005
    Ireland
    Hi!
    I am thinking of replacing the pickups on my MM Jazz 4 as I have been told that this will cut down the hum from the pickups I am currently experiencing. At the moment the hum is excessive and when the amp goes up it gets worse and worse . . . :-(

So . . .any ideas what brand of pickups, i shoudl use and will it mess up the tone completely??

Cheers!

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    In the other thread you made about the exact same subject, well the hum at least, you were pointed to check out the Pickups FAQ which is at the top of the forum.

I also have to point you there in your quest for Jazz pickups, we have tons of reviews done by members of this board on all sorts of pickups.

Pickups FAQ

Also, it wouldn't hurt telling us what kind of sound you are looking for, do want it to stay the same and just lose the hum or what?

3. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    go to a site like bestbassgear or w/e it is (it has it own sticky in the forum) and buy a hum canceling set of pick ups. That is if you really wana replace them. Try turning the Treble/tone on the bass down, and try to turn it down on your amp and see what happens.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    After you follow the suggestions from Ivar, you'll find yourself doing the same thing I did.....buying a set of Nordstrand pup's.

No, they will not mess up your tone. One cool thing about swapping pups is that you can just as easily put the old ones back in if you don't like the new ones.

-Mike

5. Eric1977

Eric1977

Jan 19, 2005
    Ireland
    Sorry, my bad,will go to the sticky!
    Cheers!