Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement pickups/preamp for Yamaha

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Pilletto, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Pilletto

Pilletto

Jul 17, 2002
    Australia
    Hi there guys,

this is my first time here on this forum.

I have a Yamaha TRB 5P bass (with the piezo's). I really like this bass and the way it sounds, however, I feel that the stock standard pickups and/or preamp are lacking something, especially the bottom end in terms of thump. The current sound is very bright and punchy when played fingerstyle, but when its time to slap the sound can be a little harsh and the bottom just does'nt do it for me. I hardly use the piezo's as they make the sound very brittle.

The question is - has anyone or does anyone know what the best modifications for this type of bass would be? ie. is it best to replace the pickups or just replace the preamp, as no manufacturer that I know of makes replacement pickups for this bass (P/J configuration).

I have spoken to a luthier here in Australia and one recommendation was to replace the preamp with a new Aguilar 3 band onboard preamp (with the standard pickups). By doing this would mean that the piezo's would be disabled, but this would not really concern me.

What do you guys think? Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.