1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacement preamp for Ibanez BTB 4 string

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SteveMcB, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Hi,
    My brother has recently bought an Ibanez BTB fretted 4 (sorry, I don't know the exact model number - it has 2 j style pickups on it from memory). Got it for an absolute steal as it was from a pawn-broker and the previous owner had ripped out all the electronics, and therefore it wouldn't make a sound!He also has an ATK fretless 4, which he's very happy with.

He rewired the BTB, with passive vol/vol/tone, and the remaining holes he's filled with a mini switch, which switches on the LED in the 5th hole! But he wishes there was a bit more versatility, ie a 3-band eq like on his ATK. He's thinking about getting rid of the BTB unless he can get a relatively cheap but decent preamp. I have no real idea about aftermarket pre's, and wanted to see if anyone had recommendations...

The exact requirements for this pre are:
    1) Cheap (he's a guitarist primarily and is only just out of college)
    2) Sounds decent (not necessarily wonderful)
    3) Fills at least 3 of the 5 holes in the bass (so he can ditch the switch and LED)
    4) Cheap!

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

2. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    aguilar obp-1

3. The Aguilar OPB-1's seem to be selling for about $110, and a lot of people really like them. The Bartolini two band costs about the same, and also sounds very good. I don't think he would be compromising on tone quality with either, as long as he likes their particular tones.

If he wants to get the cost down, I would be really careful. Cheap preamps are a false economy because of the noise and greatly diminished tone most of the really cheap ones offer. Check the For Sale forum for some great deals on a good used one. They show up pretty regularly.