Replacement preamp for ORIGINAL Musicman Stingray from East Electronics!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by andrew, Mar 3, 2006.

1. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    I was looking for a preamp to put in my EB MM Stingray to give me the same sound as the pre-EB Stingray has. John East told me he was working on a preamp to work as a replacement for the pre-EB Musicman pre. This is something I've wanted for a long time, so I got one from John to check out.

I installed it in my '98 Stingray. It already had the Basslines Alnico MM replacement pickup, which supposedly sounds like the pickup from a '76 Stingray (according to the Duncan website). I A/B'd it against a '79 Stingray and Sabre, running the basses through a variety of amps from an SWR 350 + 2x10 cab to a '73 SVT +8x10 cab.

In short: it kills! The preamp nails the sound of a vintage Stingray. It has all the same deep yet tight bass boost and bright-without-being-harsh treble boost of the original.

If anyone digs the sound of a vintage Stingray but doesn't want to lug their old bass to gigs this is a great way to get the old school sound with all the comfort and playability of the EB basses. For me it's a total win-win, because I love the feel of my Stingray's neck, I love the build quality, I love the weight... it's a killer bass for so many reasons, but I've always preferred the sound of the pre-EB basses to the newer ones, so this pre makes my Stingray the total package for my hands and ears.