Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement preamp for ORIGINAL Musicman Stingray from East Electronics!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by andrew, Mar 3, 2006.

1. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    I was looking for a preamp to put in my EB MM Stingray to give me the same sound as the pre-EB Stingray has. John East told me he was working on a preamp to work as a replacement for the pre-EB Musicman pre. This is something I've wanted for a long time, so I got one from John to check out.

I installed it in my '98 Stingray. It already had the Basslines Alnico MM replacement pickup, which supposedly sounds like the pickup from a '76 Stingray (according to the Duncan website). I A/B'd it against a '79 Stingray and Sabre, running the basses through a variety of amps from an SWR 350 + 2x10 cab to a '73 SVT +8x10 cab.

In short: it kills! The preamp nails the sound of a vintage Stingray. It has all the same deep yet tight bass boost and bright-without-being-harsh treble boost of the original.

If anyone digs the sound of a vintage Stingray but doesn't want to lug their old bass to gigs this is a great way to get the old school sound with all the comfort and playability of the EB basses. For me it's a total win-win, because I love the feel of my Stingray's neck, I love the build quality, I love the weight... it's a killer bass for so many reasons, but I've always preferred the sound of the pre-EB basses to the newer ones, so this pre makes my Stingray the total package for my hands and ears.