1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement Preamps (for Ibanez SR800)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by adam79, Aug 1, 2020.

1. adam79

adam79

Jun 29, 2012
    The PCB board is broken on my SR800 and and I'm looking for some suggestions on a decent sounding preamp that won't kill my wallet. Replacing the stock Var-Mid is $150+.. no way!

Thanks.

2. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Check out Tone Monster Preamps. They are amazingly good for the price.
    Do you have one of the older 4-hole preamps (Vol, Pan, stacked mids, stacked BT)?

3. adam79

adam79

Jun 29, 2012
    I believe so, it's a '97 model. And I'm loving your Ted Knight pic. "I'll have a hot dog, a cheeseburger, a coke...You'll get nothing and like it!"

rojo412 likes this.
  4. adam79

adam79

Jun 29, 2012
    Wow, those are cheap.. especially used. Too bad it says they work best with passive pu's; I wonder if the reviews I read about their EQ being unnoticeable is cuz it was being used with active pu's. I prob can't do any better at that price tho.

5. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I used one of these with some active EMGs and it worked nicely. Worst case, you change the pan pot and volume out for 25k, but honestly, it worked well out of the box for me.

“It’s easy to grin...”
    :D

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021