Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement pup for Kingston 5-string

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LA, May 19, 2002.

1. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    What kind of active pickups are good replacements for the Kingston 5-string? Is there an "exact replacement" out there that fits without any alterations in the body?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    When I was talking w/ Gard about it, he said no aftermarket pups drop directly in, and there would be some work involved w/ the installation. How correct this is, I'm not sure.

What kind of music are you doing? For the rock/funk aplications, I'd recomend a Seymor Duncan pup, for jazz/R&B apps, Bartolini.

That's all IMHO though, pups are all a personal thing. You might drool over Barts or EMGs for days on end. Whatever works for you.

3. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
  4. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I suppose I might not want to replace the pickup until I try an onboard preamp.

5. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    You might try that. I think the stock PU is quite ok, except it could be a bit brighter.

About active electronics: they are primarily used for tone controls (bass, treble, mid in some cases). I personally prefer using tone controls of my amp. If you go live through DI the engineer will be pissed if you fiddle with the tone controls of your bass. In studio there are usually so many great pre's to choose from not to mention the board eq's and protools plugins etc. that I really can't see any use for active electronics.

6. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I've heard some good things about the Aguilar OBP-1 and I think it will fit inside the cavity (I think I might have to install another pot).