Replacement pups for a USA Fender Jazz Deluxe

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Aug 30, 2005.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    What pups would you recommend as drop in replacements for a '98 Fender USA jazz deluxe fretless?
  2. I just put a set of Nords (NJ4) in my 00 MIA Jazz. They sound great and have that vintage vibe to them. There is a sticky at the top of this section that has some great reviews and sound clips just do a search and you'll be there. Good luck on the choice
  3. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Bart 9J1s, or DM UJ's...the UJ's may be too hot for the preamp, but Barts rule. :)
  4. epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    Depends on the tone you seek. For me my new Dimarzio DP123's J's should be a nice compliment and more aggresive edge than the stock MEC's in my Warwick Corvette. They seem to be rated highly if you seek a "rock" or more "cut-thru" tone. I had the UJ's before and they have more of a scooped mid tone which wasn't that time and setting.

Good luck, let us know what u decide :)

5. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Playing 90% classic rock. Remember, the Jazz Deluxe has that active pre-amp so that probably makes a difference on which pups can go in there.
  6. Lindy Fralins!!! I got em' in my Fender and coudln't be happier.
  7. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I don't know about the preamp thing, but I have 2 sets of Jason Lollar single coils and love them!
  8. epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    I haven't had much time to test drive them yet, but I just installed my Dimarzio J's today......WOW!! So far, so punchy! They definately will add a rock vibe for sure. But a few slaps and pops got my thumbs-up versatility seems to be there too!! Plus no hum! The bridge pup is very "barky" and tight. Pretty darn good value at $89!! :D

I have the Bart NTBT preamp couple to them so an active pre should not be a problem, as with any pickup you choose. The only time you might have to change things is if you would use active pickups (like EMG's--25K) with passive electronic pots (250K, 500K). But many active pups come with the correct pots.
  9. I have a 97 MIA Jazz DLX, I just put a set of Aero Type 1's that blow away the stock pickups. I find that the Aero's have a nice growl or grind to them. They are a somewhat agressive pickup that remains tame with the stock preamp. Future plans are to drop a J-Retro Dlx in.
  10. faceless_13

Apr 6, 2005

I just replaced my J-Bass pick ups with EMG Js. They sound great. Sweet Harmonic over tones. Nice and rounded. They also have EMG JV which look just like the stock Js but much fatter tone that doesn't compromise you natural J tone.....