Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement pups for Godin p/j combo

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Figjam, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    So as some of you know, i have recently bought a Godin SD bass. (i made a thread about it incase you care). I am considering swapping the Godin pickups. I like the tone, but i dont LOVE the tone. I want to know what my possibilities are.

A couple questions:

-Is it wise to have 2 different brand pickups? ie: one brand p bass pickup and another brand jazz pickup?

and the main question: What kind of pickups would be best for a funk tone. ie: good for slapping, kind of bright. I want it to retain some of its punchiness but i guess that can be accomplished with any p bass pickup.

Do Bartolinis have a nice slap tone?

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Barts have a really dark, woody tone. They seem to be most useful in basses chock full of "tonewoods" and stuff.

Seymour Duncans SPB-2 (Hot for Precision) have a really fat tone, and not to bad for slapping. I don't like the Hot for Jazz pickup, maybe a Quarter Pounder or something (I haven't used it, apparently it's fat-as-hell). Put a little bit of treble boost into the SPB-2 and you've got a good slap tone (also if you put a bit of a bass boost in there too). Maybe an Aguilar OBP-1 two band preamp (boost only). The three band might not be AS useful, but it's boost/cut so you may prefer to just cut the mids or something instead of doing all that boosting.

If you do go the way of Barts, and if you do decide to toss in a preamp as well, go with the Bart one. I've heard a few people talking about how the Bart pickups don't play nice with other children, persay. SD-Basslines and EMGs seem to mix well though. Look around, stay a while, have a peak through that search function. SMASH also has a really great topic on jazz pickups in this forum. Also make sure to check out the pickup section of www.bgra.net 's reviews, as well as the www.harmony-central.com section for pickups (they have Seymour Duncan and Basslines listed as different companies, they're the exact same so check both sections!).

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    yea i checked the reviews at those places before i made this thread. I think I am going to go with the Bartolini pickups. Seems to be what im looking for.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Awesome! Best of luck, and dang well make sure you come back and tell us how it sounds :D.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well i put the barts in this afternoon and they sound really nice. Basicaly similiar to the Godins, but with nicer, fuller highs. Nice slap tone. Really thick sounding, not too metallic.