Replacement pups for p-bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nirvanaman, Dec 8, 2002.

1. nirvanaman

Dec 8, 2002
    I was wondering if i should mod my p-bass with a Seymour Duncan SPB-3 or a Fender original p-bass pup. The fender is used on the american vintage basses and the SPB-3 sounds good. what do u think?
  2. I'm a big fan of the Fender "Original '62" P-Bass pickup. It has a fat vintage tone.
  3. nirvanaman

Dec 8, 2002
    I'm probably gonna get the Fenders.
  4. BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    i have the "orginal 62" fender pups too....and ill agree with lonote. they have a beautiful tone, i would never give them up. deffinitly go with the fender pickups!
  5. I'm pretty happy with my EMGs with TI Flats. Has a nice fat tone and adds a little modern tone to it.
  6. I have a Rio Grande Muy Grande in mine. Adjectives: thick, rich, vintage, bold, warm, mildly bright.

i hope that helps.
  7. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    My Franken-P has a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 "Vintage" in it, and it's the thumpiest P pickup I've used. Good clarity. It's staying.
  8. nirvanaman

Dec 8, 2002
    i might get the Fender. The SPB-1 sounds good.
  9. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    I like Seymore Duncan Quarter Pounders.
  10. nirvanaman

Dec 8, 2002
    what type of sound do they give?
  11. The Duncan SPB-1 will sound very similar to the Fender Original '62. The Quarter Pounder is a hotter pickup than either the SPB-1 or the Fender '62. All three pickups are very good, it just depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. Any of them would probably work well for you.
  12. I put a set of '62 Fender Pick ups in my P-Bass and absolutely love them!!!

They sound great... they have such great tone!
  13. tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    i put the SBP-3 Quarter Pounds into my cheap Yamaha RBX-260 and it was a huge improvement over the crappy stock pickups. much more umph! and clarity. but when i pieced toghether my new P-Bass (with all non-Fender components) i went the way of the SBP-1 Vintage pickups. sure, they don't have the cool "BASSLINES" label but they sound very smooth and clear with some .050~.115 strings. and since the SBP-1's are wired to sound like the Fender '57-'62 pickups i would stick to the Fender ones the you have. if you want more brightness and/or punch try taking your tone control out of the circuit and/or try putting the Fender 250K "No Load" control pot (CP 250NL) in place of the volume control.
  14. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    It really depends on the sound you are going for. I had EMGs in a Korean PJ bass and they really kicked ass. They did not sound at all vintage though.

I also replace the EMGs in a Fender MIJ with Duncan vintage pickups and I really liked the result.

Without knowing your tastes, it is really hard to say what you will like.
  15. SpaceRat

Mar 11, 2002
    London, UK
    How does the sound of the original '62 p pickup differ from the pickup that comes on MIA p-basses?
  16. I've noticed the hotter the pickup, the less thump it delivers.

My 2001 MIM P factory pickup had plenty of thump.

I replaced it with a Duncan Hot P, which was MUCH louder, very even, but the thump was gone. The Duncan was very hot in the mids, and not to my liking.

I then replaced the Duncan with a DiMarzio Will Power Middle (DP146) which has much more bottom and less mids. And no thump. The DP146 is aggressive and brazen sounding, and smooth as thick butter when I turn to the tone control all the way down.

I also have this pickup wired with a Series/Parallel switch. The parallel mode is thinner and like fine crystal. Series is fatter, louder, and more aggressive.

I miss the thump, but not enough to keep screwing around with more pickups. The P is my main player, and it is doing the job now.