1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacement Pups for Spector Legend 5...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kitsapbass, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Currently it has the EMG-40hz and an emg preamp designed to work with the hz pickups. Sounds...okay...ish, but not really crazy about the amplified sound (great sustain, very tight sounding acoustically, but plain-jane, vanilla when plugged in).

Thinking about Nordstrands or the Bassline Fodera NYC pickups (mainly because both of those are available in the same size for the rout), but definitely willing to consider others as well...but I'd also like to get your guys' collective pickup experiences with these or other pickups if I could pick your brains....

2. Versatek6

Versatek6 Fretless is like Trombone Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    I have the cousin to your bass, a Spectorcore. I wasn't thrilled with the HZ either. I got a Neo-3 from SGD Lutherie, and have been very happy. When I got mine, they had the EMG slip-on connection, but I don't know if they are still done that way. Installation took 10 minutes.

The sound is much more open than the HZ; it is just bigger and broader. It makes the differences in strings more evident to me.

This is a passive installation, so no preamp is affecting the tone. I am very pleased with the performance, and David was very helpful with selection and ordering. He is active on the forum, so look him up.