Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement pups for Yammy RBX 350 fretless

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by spectorman, Apr 6, 2002.

1. I'm looking to change the pups on my Yammy fretless,(P/J passive set up), I want as much growl as poss', not bothered if active or passive. I have looked at other fretlesses but none appealed. Although the yammy was really cheap,£150, it plays and feels really nice. The fingerboard is Ebony. I have never had the need to change pups before, so any help would be appreciated.

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    :eek: Whoo-hoo! Another fretless Yammer dude! :D

I've got an rbx260f and bbn4f. I'm real partial to super-
    hot passive pups. I put a DiMarzio Split P in the `260, and
    am fixin' to install a set of (d/m) ultra-jazz' in the bbn4f.

The split p and ultra jazz both have outputs of 250mV according
    to the website. The split p IS hot - very sensitive to touch
    variations, with "growl" and "mwah" out the ying-yang :).

Since they have equivalent outputs, you could try a split-p
    for the neck position and an ultra jazz (DP148) for the bridge.
    Also...since they're both humbuckers, you could try the nutty
    wirin' scheme shown in the attachment :rolleyes:. "R1" and "R2" are
    stacked pots.

Here's an online UK store that sells `em - http://www.rana.demon.co.uk/velvet/pickups.htm

3. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    i have a 250rbx fretted that i converted to fretless recently, its just a regular Pbass arrangement. i pulled the P out, and cut a cavity for a carvin J99 sigle coil jazz pup. the J99 went right in front of the bridge(like, an inch) i wired that to a volume control, and then right to the output jack. you can get a lot of tones from this one pup, depending on where you play. right over the pickup it has A LOT of punch, and its not real midrangey like a lot of other soloed J's ive played. the tone smooths out the closer you move to the neck, although the signal degrades(makes sense, huh). i recommend it.

4. Guys.

I'm considering a Yammy fretless. Went to my deasler and tried a '270f. There was a marked dead spot between about 2nd and 7th on G.

Anyone found this with Yammys? I wondered whether it might just have been that particular bass or whether they all tend that way.

John

5. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    Rockin John-

ive only played a few yamaha fretless basses(actual ones, not defretted basses like mine) and i never noticed any dead spots. ive played quite a few fretted ones as well, and never noticed dead spots on those either.

6. Thanks for the info guys, sorry i didn't get back sooner, iv'e been busy getting slated on the Bass guitar forum. I will certainly check out your sudgestions. ;)