Replacement pups for Yammy RBX 350 fretless

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by spectorman, Apr 6, 2002.

1. I'm looking to change the pups on my Yammy fretless,(P/J passive set up), I want as much growl as poss', not bothered if active or passive. I have looked at other fretlesses but none appealed. Although the yammy was really cheap,£150, it plays and feels really nice. The fingerboard is Ebony. I have never had the need to change pups before, so any help would be appreciated.
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    :eek: Whoo-hoo! Another fretless Yammer dude! :D

I've got an rbx260f and bbn4f. I'm real partial to super-
    hot passive pups. I put a DiMarzio Split P in the `260, and
    am fixin' to install a set of (d/m) ultra-jazz' in the bbn4f.

The split p and ultra jazz both have outputs of 250mV according
    to the website. The split p IS hot - very sensitive to touch
    variations, with "growl" and "mwah" out the ying-yang :).

Since they have equivalent outputs, you could try a split-p
    for the neck position and an ultra jazz (DP148) for the bridge.
    Also...since they're both humbuckers, you could try the nutty
    wirin' scheme shown in the attachment :rolleyes:. "R1" and "R2" are
    stacked pots.

Here's an online UK store that sells `em -
  3. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    i have a 250rbx fretted that i converted to fretless recently, its just a regular Pbass arrangement. i pulled the P out, and cut a cavity for a carvin J99 sigle coil jazz pup. the J99 went right in front of the bridge(like, an inch) i wired that to a volume control, and then right to the output jack. you can get a lot of tones from this one pup, depending on where you play. right over the pickup it has A LOT of punch, and its not real midrangey like a lot of other soloed J's ive played. the tone smooths out the closer you move to the neck, although the signal degrades(makes sense, huh). i recommend it.
  4. Guys.

I'm considering a Yammy fretless. Went to my deasler and tried a '270f. There was a marked dead spot between about 2nd and 7th on G.

Anyone found this with Yammys? I wondered whether it might just have been that particular bass or whether they all tend that way.

5. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    Rockin John-

ive only played a few yamaha fretless basses(actual ones, not defretted basses like mine) and i never noticed any dead spots. ive played quite a few fretted ones as well, and never noticed dead spots on those either.
  6. Thanks for the info guys, sorry i didn't get back sooner, iv'e been busy getting slated on the Bass guitar forum. I will certainly check out your sudgestions. ;)