Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement pups on an MIA Jazz 5

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ralphdaddy, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hey everyone, I'm thinking of switching out the pups in my Jazz 5 and, since i have zero experience in this department, I'm turning to you to give me info on what would be the best pickup to give me the classic Jazz bass sound, but in 5 string form. I was looking into Bartolini and Fralin, since Fralin makes the pickups for Lakland jazzes and everyone raves about those, but I don't know if he does replacements for a Fender J5. I'll take any input you've got, thanks everyone.

Ralph

2. Bekkeland

Bekkeland

May 16, 2003
    Sandnes, Norway
    Remember to check pickup size
    Fender MIA Jazz pups are wider than std 5 string jazz pups (believe it or not!)
    :confused:

3. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Do you know which kinds will fit into an MIA J5?

4. Bekkeland

Bekkeland

May 16, 2003
    Sandnes, Norway
    You should check the measurements of your pups before ordering new ones. American STD and American DLX basses have the wider pups. I believe the older Fender 5's have narrower string spacing and the smaller (standard) Jazzbass 5 string pups.

I just installed Bartolini 57 J1 L/S (Long/Short)- 5 String J Bass Pickups (Set)
    on my American STD Jazz V, and I'm happpy with them. They are split coil noiseless pups in Jazz shape. I run them throug a J-Retro preamp, and this combination works great IMO!

Aero also makes single coils that fits Am STD/ Am DLX. There are the Fender Noiseless ones, and I think Lindy Fralin (?) makes some as well.

5. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    How close to the original Fender sound do the Bartolinis sound when you don't use the J-Retro? I don't have any preamps or anything of the sort and I just wanted to leave mine passive and I'm just curious how they sound in good ole passive mode. Congrats on the Barts though man, I was looking into the same set and I hope you can shed some light on their characteristics for me, thanks Bekkeland. Oh yeah, mine is the American Standard 5, a 2001 or 2002 I believe.

6. Bekkeland

Bekkeland

May 16, 2003
    Sandnes, Norway
    Hi!

Havent played the bass much in passive mode, and I can't see any reason for wanting to!
    When I bought this bass it was passive, and I was not happy with the sound of it. I like to alter the sound on different songs, and i sometimes solo one ofthe pickups. With a single coil pickup you will get lots of hum doing that. It doesn't matter much on a loud stage, but it can be a problem in the studio. Also, if u solo the bridge pickup, you will have to boost bass on your amp and on the PA mixer input. That works if u like me double as the bands soundman on some gigs, like bass players often do(I wonder why!)
    My experience is also that a passive bass can sound quite different on different amps (and DI boxes) due to different impedance matching, I believe.

Once I put the J-Retro in the bass was another story. I have full control over the different sounds with just tweaking the knobs on the preamp. With a active (low impedance) output your'e more likely to get a good sound from "any" amp. On a lot of gigs I don't bring my own rig, I just plug into what's there, and I think its easier to get a good sound with the active preamp/low impedance. (It can however be the soundmans worst nightmare if u don't know how to use the preamps controls!)

Even with the J-Retro on board i couldn't get rid of the somewhat harsh midrange and treble of the Fender pups.

I think the Barts work great active or passive, as they are in fact passive pups. Compared to the Fenders they ar (almost) noiseless when soloed. They have a much more even string to string response, and the frequenzy response is wider. The J-Retro has a pull out 7K treble boost that actually work with the Barts. With the Fenders it just added hiss! The Barts sounds a little fuller, but basically the bass still sound like a Jazz bass, only better IMO.

One thing u must take into consideration is that wher'e talking about subtle differences in sound. The sound of the bass is made up by the wood. the pups, the strings, and the way it's all put together. The Barts where a good improvement IMO, and they probably will be for you, even if you keep it completely passive.