Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement PUPS?!?!?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fretless_freak, Jul 19, 2002.

1. I ordered an MTD Kingtson-5 from musicians friend. It has not arrived yet, but If I decide to upgrade the pickup, what would be a good pickup to put in their? Actually, I should say what would be the very best pickup to use as a replacement? Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    why do you want to upgrade the pickups if you have not played the bass yet?!?!:confused:

3. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    A new set of EMGs or Barts would be good, all preference to what tone you want.

But I think you'd get more help in the Pickups Forum. ;)

4. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Please tell me that you didn't just say, "Actually, I should say what would be the very best pickup to use as a replacement?"

See the "Best reason not to title your thread 'best....'" thread.

What sound are looking for? What music do you play? Slap, Finger, Pick? Are you going w/ a preamp? Coil switching?

5. I know that I haven't played it yet, but I have never upgraded any of my instruments, so I am just contemplating the idea! I play just about everything, I really dig the Red Hot Chili Peppers! Flea rules! My favorite is Rush! Geddy Lee is truly the man! I have a Geddy Lee signature jazz bass, so I have the Rush aspect covered! I find it kind of difficult to achieve Flea's tone with a jazz!

6. If I were thinking about upgrading a Kingston, I'd probably look at adding a preamp/EQ before swapping the pickup. By all accounts, the stock pickup is pretty good, and an EQ would give you more flexibility. Something to consider, anyway.

Mike

7. How much does a preamp/EQ cost? How much does it cost to get one installed?

8. How much it costs would depend on what you get--prices for the Bartolini and Seymour Duncan(Basslines) units seem to be mostly in the $100-$150 range. I think the Aguilar and EMG preamps are both just under $100.

I'm not sure what it would cost to have them installed, since I've never had it done in a shop.

Mike

9. In all honesty I can't imagine you wanting to upgrade the pup in your new Kingston. I think once you get it you'll be very satisfied with it, my suggestion would be to leave it as it is when it first arrives, get used to the tone of it, and if you don't like it, then start looking at replacement pups. But really, the MM pup that's standard is excellent.

10. I got on the access-bass website and heard a sound clip of finger style and slap on the kingston. I tell you, it made me tingle! I don't think I will be able to sleep until I get my new bass!

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Moved to Pickups.

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    well, man- im flattered that my little playing soundbytes made you tingle :p
    i wouldnt mess with that pickup- if you find you NEED a preamp- pop one in there- but leave that pup alone, its fine!!..:)

13. well, I will let all of you know about my experience with my Kingston when I get it! I am really looking forward to it!

14. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Adrian,

I was going to replace the J pickup on my Heir because of the single coil hum. I'm assuming from your comment about the MM pickup the J is decent. What's your experience with that pickup?
    Should I just learn to live with the hum?

Tom

15. Well, I got my Kingston! All I can say is the thing rocks! I don't have any plans, in the near future, to replace anything on this bass! The neck is alot wider than I was expecting, but it feels good! I sat and played it the other night to well into the morning! I took it to work with me and sat in the chair and lost track of time! It is such a beautiful instrument! I highly reccomend them to everyone!

16. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Congrats Fretless.

What color is it?

Is it maple or rosewood fretboard?

I got my Heir about a month ago and really liked the instrument, except for the single coil pickup. There aren't lots of bells and whistles but the Heirs and Kingstons are so fundamentally sound. Solid basswood body, angled headstock, zero fret, and awesome fretwork, simple electronics = Killer tone and playability.

FWIW I remember reading that the pickups are wound in Korea to a Bartolini spec. I'm sure someone else around here knows.

17. It is red with the rosewood fretboard! The only thing that is hard to get used to is the growl of the B string! If played open, it is very hard to hear the pitch! I think that it is only me though, because I am not used to hearing such low notes! I have only been a bass player since December 2001. I am originally a guitar player, but ever since my wife bought me a Geddy Lee signature Jazz, I can't put the bass down. I haven't even pulled out a guitar to play since then. Bass playing is awesome! It is so much fun! Sorry, I kind of got off the subject.

I really dig the single coil pick up! I have two jazz basses. I really love the tone, but there is something about this MTD Kingston! It rocks! My wife had a good laugh yesterday, because I just kep going on about how much I love that 5th string. I told her that I would be saving a little money each month, to get a 6 string. Do you guys think that I should skip the six and just go to 7? I really dig that Conklin Groove Tool GT-7! Give me some feedback please. I won't be getting it for a while, but the more strings the merrier!