1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacement PU's for Jazz Basslines..

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BiggieSmalls, Aug 26, 2007.

1. BiggieSmalls

BiggieSmalls

Aug 26, 2007
    Dallas.TX
    I'm thinking of replacing my Basslines in hopes to upgrade my tone however I play a Jazz Deluxe which includes a mid-scoop switch.

My question is whether I need to find PU's specifically designed to accommodate the mid-scoop switch?

In addition, what suggestions would you guys have for upgrading from the Basslines?

BTW.. first post in a while. Glad to jump back in the fray :hyper: (I think :eyebrow: )

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Welcome back.

If it's a Fender then apparently the pups have already been changed and perhaps the pre as I recall no scoop switch. Maybe an SD pre as well cause I know some of them have a slap switch.

I first would clearly express what I have - as in which pre/bass line pups (as they all sound different), what it sounds like and what you want different.

Look at the how the switch is wired and that will tell if a particular other pup would work.

Probably wouldn't hurt to look at FAQ the Bass Mod link in the first paragraph of Dimento's Trouble Shooting Guide.

3. steddy2112

steddy2112

Aug 19, 2007
    Newark, DE
    Active or passive?

What kind of sound are you shooting for?

Growly and middy-anything Seymour Duncan passive

Hi-Fi and clear-EMG active