1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement recommendations for Dimarzio Model G

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by danbones, Dec 26, 2017.

1. danbones

danbones

Sep 24, 2017
    IMG_4354.JPG hey all! I'm not an active poster here, but I'm looking to replace a set of pickups in a '75 Conrad Bumper Bass (Dan Armstrong clone)and would be super grateful for suggestions.

The bass is set with a Dimarzio Model G humbucker in the neck and a generic No name humbucker at the bridge, run passive. Volume, tone and PU switch for electronics. I bought it with the no name already in place.

The pickups, particularly the Model G, bottom out super easily and are really thin. Granted, it's an acrylic bass, but I hate how cheap these sound and would loooove to replace them with something modern. Ideally voiced like a jazz pickup, preferably something that place nice with an overdrive pedal.

The problem is finding a modern pickup that fits the shape and size of the model G so I don't have to route a 40 year old acrylic body. Dimensions are 1.5" x 2.75" with a housing ring, which I'm almost positive is just guitar humbucker dimensions.

So far I've found an EMG passive humbucker that would fit, or a Dimarzio Model one, which I'm waaayy not into. I'm not very well versed in swapping pickups, but I've been doing my homework and haven't turned much up. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. danbones

danbones

Sep 24, 2017
    Also, two fun things of note:

I have replaced the bridge with a hip shot two pole Gibson style bridge, which I had a custom mounting plate machined out of stainless steel so it wouldn't have to be drilled into the body. I've been meaning to post in the mods thread, but I've been waiting til the whole build is done.

For the sake of argument, since the body is routed for guitar humbucker sized pickups, are there guitar humbuckers that could effectively be used for bass? I'm thinking along the lines of blade style pickups and not six-pole piece pickups. What kind of output would they need to have?

3. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Yes! Lots and lots of them will work. In fact, all of them will make noise, but for bass I recommend finding some that are not heavily overwound. Overwound guitar humbuckers emphasize the midrange at the expense of lows and highs. Look for something that has a wide frequency range, with a balance of lows, mids, and highs.

I can enthusiastically recommend the Wilde L90. These are actually Bill’s recommendation for humbuckers for bass, according to Becky. And wow, do they sound great! Such clarity, with plenty of output and rich lows for bass. You can’t beat the price either! Wilde Bill's Twin Blades

Others have had good success with Lace DeathBuckers. I want to try them myself, but I absolutely love my Lace Alumitone BassBars, which are siblings.

Blades are not a necessity. A six-pole guitar humbucker will still work fine for a four-string bass, it just looks a bit odd. So if you happen to have one lying around, give it a try. Judge with your ears, not your eyes!

Slater likes this.
  4. danbones

danbones

Sep 24, 2017
    Amazing! I looooooove the lace alumatone stuff, a bunch of people I've played with in a different bands are all sponsored by lace and really dig the sensors for guitar or the alumatones for bass. I didn't actually realize the deathbuckers were rated the same as the bass pickups, this is great news! Thanks for helping point me in the right direction, I'm gonna doublecheck that they'll fit properly and then most likely order a set by the end of the week. I'll do a full review once I get them set up.

5. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    “Rated the same”? No, they’re not, but only because marketers come up with the copy that the public reads, without (usually) knowing anything about the physics involved. It turns out that the physics governing how guitar pickups work is exactly the same physics that governs how bass pickups work. It’s only marketers that segregate them. Well, that plus the need for retrofit - not many basses have guitar humbucker-sized pickups, just as not many guitars have Jazz-sized pickups. :smug:

6. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    By the way, there are so many overlapping variations of the Lace Alumitone stuff. There are the BassBars, which come in 3.5, 4.0, and 4.5 versions. Then there are the X-Bars and the DeathBars, which come in 3.5, 4.0, and 4.5 versions. Hmmmm... There is the Deathbucker and the Alumitone Humbucker in your form factor, which are apparently the same pickups as above, just a different shape. Then there’s the P90, the Jazz, the split Precision, and the Strat, all based on the same technology. I’ve not tried all of them, but I suspect they all sound similar, and all would work well for bass, or guitar, or mandolin, or Chapman Stick, or...

7. danbones

danbones

Sep 24, 2017
    Sorry, I meant rated the same resistance-wise, which is 5k.

ctmullins likes this.
  8. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Ah, gotcha.

Also remember that Lace offers some of the humbuckers with various aesthetic covers, like the “Griller” series: Alumitone-Griller_20135.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  9. laterali

laterali

Sep 11, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    I'm gonna blow the dust off this one.

Did you ever end up replacing that Model G?

I purchased a BC Rich Eagle Bass from 77, before they switched to a dual "P" configuration.
    The guy who owned it before me swapped the Model G (DP121) pickups for some other humbuckers (no clue, no markings or model number or anything). I'm looking to put the originals back in, or something similar to it.

Like you, I listened to some playback with the modern "model 1" pickups, not my cup of tea.

Also, CTMullins, I like the look of those Wilde L90s. But how do I know which configuration to get? They offer options with inductance of 2.0, 2.8, 4.0, 6.0 and 8.0H. Any thoughts?

10. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Sure - that’s an inductance value, and higher inductance means higher output and a bit more emphasis in the mids.

Becky told me that Bill recommended the 4H for bass, so that’s what I got. Even though that’s one of the lower inductance that they offer, they still have plenty of output. Love ‘em!

laterali likes this.
  11. laterali

laterali

Sep 11, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    Right on! I'm gonna check that out. Thanks man!

ctmullins likes this.
  12. Slidlow

Slidlow Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    Bill Lawrence bass Humbuckers should fit.
    IMG_4761.JPG