Replacement Recommendations for Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gyver, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Howdy,

My beloved GK 700RB-II has crapped out. I took it to a tech and he could not find the problem. Considering I bought it used eight years for a very low price I figure I may as well just replace it. Unfortunately GK no longer makes the RB series amps.

I'm considering just getting another used 700RB, but am open to other options as well. Does anyone have any recommendations for an amp that sounds similar to the GK 700RB-II? I'm open to solid state, tubes and class D - thanks!

Gyver

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  2. Only another RB series will sound the same.
    You might want to run it by another tech.
    It well could be something not cost effective to fix, but he should have been able to find what was wrong to be sure.
    In general, those old RBs are hard to kill.

gitfiddl likes this.
  3. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Hey Gyver,

What happened to it, or what specifically is it doing (or not doing)? I too have a dead 700rb that I want to repair, and when I took it to the local authorized service center they turned me down stating that troubleshooting costs will most likely exceed the value of the amp.

I tried some fixes with the help of GK's tech support (who were helpful) to no avail, however I learned that they do have power boards still available so I plan on purchasing one when $$ is available. From what I can tell my preamp board is just fine, and the power amp board is easy to replace.

So that's why I ask what yours is doing as there may still be hope for it, especially if you don't mind opening the hood on it.

If not, and if the 700rb is your idea of perfection, sell it for parts and purchase another used. There are lots of other great amps out there; IMO none of the newer class D offerings are attractive to me (except my Trace Elliot Elf which I just got - but it has its own purpose and isn't replacing anything I normally use). I like the punch that the RB series has and I'm looking to explore what the 700rb can do when I get it running.

Raz

4. Hello Raz,

Sometimes, there is no (very little anyway) volume. Sometimes it crackles and pops, especially when playing aggressively. Sometimes it buzzes and hums like crazy, especially right after being turned on. And sometimes it works as it should! I played through it this morning, and after about 10 seconds of mild buzzing it worked perfectly. Weird.

I actually just bought a Legacy 800 online, so we'll see how I like that. I'm not necessarily expecting it to sound exactly like the 700RB-II, but I'm open to different sounds anyway so maybe I will like it even more?

Gyver

jeff7bass likes this.
  5. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    "I actually just bought a Legacy 800 online". That should do the trick. I would still try to get the 700RB fixed so you have a backup.

Gyver likes this.
  6. Yep, might try again to get it fixed, or I might sell it for parts. I got it pretty cheap back in 2012, so I've gotten my money out of it plus some.

jeff7bass likes this.
  7. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Awesome! I look forward to reading your comparison of the two amps. Have you tested your preamp out i.e. checked signal out of the FX output, tuner, and DI? What happens when you plug your bass directly into the FX return? If the preamp checks out and you are still having issues through the FX return, a power amp board is $150 direct from GK.

Raz

8. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    It might be a cheap fix, like something is loose. If it works great sometimes, who knows. I know a starter on a car can work a few times before it's completely gone.

9. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    Have you tried the old trick of connecting the effects send to the effects return with a patch cable? These jacks get dirty and can cause problems. Mine were in that state in an old 700rb I had, and it caused the amp to cut out and crackle occasionally.

wave rider and TinIndian like this.
  10. Yeah, I've tried that and it didn't make any difference. Basically it just decides to work or not depending on the day. It might be possessed lol.

Inara likes this.
  11. The tech who looked at it checked everything out and couldn't find the problem. It was not acting up when he looked at it, unfortunately. It worked for a day after I brought it home and then started crackling again. I told him I would take it back if it got bad again, and plan to record what it sounds like to hopefully give him a better idea of what to look for next time.

12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    A truly qualified tech should have no problem repairing that amp. It's not a difficult amp to repair properly imo.

SwitchGear, bgavin, gitfiddl and 3 others like this.
  13. Or keep it for parts and purchase another used.

14. I thought this as well. When the tech looked at it he could not get it to act up so he could not find the problem.

15. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Good see a couple GK guys or fellow bass players already agree, nothing sounds like a 700RB....But
    Reality that EQ style has become the normal these days. Probably a Zillion new amps that copy the whole Bass Mid Mid Treble approach.
    Dialing in usable tone isn't that hard these days. With simple pre amps at least.
    Far as the rest of the tone. If your not pushing the classic GK grind. Modern clean is no different.
    I think the lower wattage 400RB fans find a unique grind that not many are going to do.

Far as your repair, as mentioned its a easy fix...usually. Is the unit not powering up, or is it dead signal.
    could be as simple as the preamp effect loop, or if no power. A typical hunt done by a tech world find the issue
    in about 10 to 20 mins. I do know the chip amp for the biamp tends to go. but internet guessing doesn't fix amps. Intermittent issues are harder to find. But the usual culprits play out

16. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    I figured you had tried that, but thought I would throw it out there just in case. Hope you either can get it fixed somehow or find something you like to replace it. Fingers crossed on the Legacy 800 ... I'm very tempted by that series as well.

17. I'll let you know my thoughts on the Legacy after I receive it - cheers!

Inara likes this.
  18. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Ask your tech to look at it again, he must have missed something.

Does it make the noises when you unplug the bass from the front of the amp?

19. Yes, as I recall. I will check that again tonight.

20. Why not send it to G-K for repair?
    Are they no longer repairing these?

I own one as well, and that would be my first thought if mine needed service.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021