1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement screws for machine keys

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by RobertMay, Aug 20, 2007.

1. I there,
    I'm putting back together an upright bass that came to me dismantle.
    Unfortunately, the screw holding the tyrolean style tuning keys have
    been lost in the process. The tuning keys are chromed not brass. I've tried a few places to find replacement screws but without any success. Can anyone help me find some

Thanks.

Robert

2. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    I'm surprised you can't find small screws at a big hardware store. if you can't get chromed just use common brass ones.

3. Believe me, I usually don't have problem finding screws. But when your looking for oval head slot chrome screws, which I believe was what came with it at first, it's a little bit more difficult. I was thinking exaclty like you when I hit the road to go get screws.....but experience seem to tell otherwise. I was really open minded and thought that I'll get anything that simply match the color of the chrome and fit in the hole so I bough cuntersunk phillips stainless, but the countersunk is not the same conical shape at all wich make the screws protude from the hole. Few places carry slot screws anymore, very few oval head out there and still less chrome screws.

Still looking.....

Robert

4. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Can you change the plates' countersink angle to match the new screws?

5. If you haven't already, try Lee Valley

They have *almost* everything there. Great site just to browse too.

(prices are Canadian currency. Go back to home page to change that option)

6. I have had good luck w. MSC for parts....I got Chrome replacement , Oval Heads for the Kluson tuners used on old Kay basses from them.
    Make sure you know the thread size and type. You may have to try a Euro source ,maybe like Rubner for certain sizes and styles..Good Luck..

7. GriffithLea

GriffithLea

Aug 29, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    Are you talking about the screws that hold the gears to the "peg" ? I have a whole bunch of those in plain brass that might fit, though of course that won't help if the plated look is a must-have.

As I remember, the head of this type of screw head actually recesses into the gear, so that it is flush. A lot of what I see called "Tyrolean Style" these days are not like this - the screw head stands proud of the gear. So you need to take this into consideration.

I bought these for a bass I used to have about 20 years ago, even though it had a plated set of tuners, because the plated screws that it came with seemed to be of a metal (steel) that didn't agree with the metal that the pegs were made of (brass). There was some corrosion occurring. Anyway, the brass screws against the plated gears actually looked kind of neat. I even replaced all the little tiny plated wood screws that held the tuner plates to the tuning box with brass equivalents, and the result was sort of nice.

Anyway, let me know if you want 4 of these ones that I have. I have a ton of them (had to buy a whole box). You'll want to polish the heads a bit, since they've been in the garage all this time. :)

8. M Ramsey

M Ramsey

Mar 12, 2005
    North Carolina
    I don't think it would be such a crime to use Phillips head screws since many tuners have these anyway. Older tuners (on many instruments) were slot heads and if you were going for complete originality, I'd say continue the hunt. I've heard of original pre-war tuners from Martin guitars going for $700-$800 per set and they WOULD have slot head screws.

If you are in the process of re-assembling a museum piece, hunt the slot heads. If you are looking for functionality, look for some Phillips head screws.

Other opinions expected and respected,

9. THank you all for your answer. I finally found some. I've tried a few luthier and none at some to spare, finally I found some in a guitar store that fit just perfectly. They are phillips but I don't really care, I was just looking for something the same color and that fit nicely and for that they had to be oval head, cuntersunk screws were just not fitting flush.

Thanks