Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement soapbars for Ibanez BTB1206E

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Marcus, Jan 12, 2006.

1. I'm looking into replacing the Bartolini's on my Ibanez BTB with hotter pickups and was looking for suggestions/links to where I can find the right set.

I'm currently thinking Seymour Duncan for what I'm going for but am having a hard time locating the right set of pickups for the bass.

Any help would be much appreciated, especially if anyone ever swapped Barts for Duncans.

Thanks

2. ADuck5150

ADuck5150

Jul 31, 2004
    NJ
    Bump. I'm in a similar situation..I've got an Ibanez EDC, and I'm lookin to replace the pickups with something a bit more hotter, but still passive. I'm mainly looking at EMG and Seymour right now; anyone have any experience with their passive soapbar replacements?

3. Bump ^_^;;

4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I put the Duncan SSB4 passive soapbars in a Gibson Thunderbird. I think they are great sounding pickups, but they may not be what you are looking for. They are warm sounding with muted highs, and not particularly hot. They are basically the polar opposites of EMG. They are the same pickups used in Sadowsky basses that have soapbars.

5. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Are you looking for a different tone too, or just more output? If you only need a hotter signal, have you tried turning up the internal trim in the preamp circuit? It's a little blue box with a white center...

6. Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out!

7. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    All the Duncan soapbars tend to be a bit on the warmer side and voiced more towards what a traditional passive pickup would sound like. Because of this they tend to have a more transparent sound and are not sterile sounding at all. If this fits with the tone you are looking for they are great pickups.

8. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    You need the phase 1, they are direct replacement for Bartolini soapbars. The phase 2 are replacement for EMG soapbars. The P4 shell is longer and slimer then the EMG 45s.

PL

9. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Yep, same pickup just two different sizes to replace EMG or Bart..

10. Thanks again for the responses!

Here's my next question: Is the Bartolini preamp that's on the 1206E doing more for the tone than the pickups? If so, by replacing the pickups with the Duncans, will the sound change that much or will the pre still cause the dark sound?

11. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    My experience with Duncans (Bassline Phase 1 soaps) was different -- they were definitely transparent, but i found them to be bright and punchy, not at all warm or like a traditional passive pickup. I found them to be closer to EMG pickups, maybe with a little more depth though. They'll definitely fit into the Bart route though if that's what you decide to go with. I much prefer the stock barts in my BTBs though.

12. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

The Phase I are active, right? I think you are right about the active ones. The passive Phase II (there are also active phase II, which I don't think sound the same) is warm and not at all like an EMG.

I think part of the confusion is there are Phase I and Phase II active pickups, and Phase II passive pickups. The active and passive don't sound alike at all. The Phase II passive are very warm, with muted highs, and not at all hot. They sound nothing at all like EMG. I have a set and love them, and I hate the coldness of EMGs. I have no experience with the active ones, but have heard they are brighter and more like EMG.

13. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Oh i was wondering about that -- yeah, my SD's were all-active. Sorry about that, I didn't know about the phase 2 passive soaps. Are those the ones that are used in Fodera and other high end basses?

14. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    They are the same as the ones in Sadowsky basses, I don't know about Fodera.

15. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    The preamp might not like the different impedance of the output of an active pickup... You might want to check if the preamp is rated for exclusive use with passive pickups. SD as 2 variation of there preamp to fit the passive and active pickups they sell.

I must admit I have no clue about the tone of the pickups or preamp sorry.

PL

16. I shall look into this, thanks for the words all.