Replacement Speaker Cables

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lumpycat, Sep 19, 2001.

  1. Lumpycat

    Lumpycat Guest

    Sep 16, 2001
    Philadelphia PA
    Okay I need help here!

    I'm looking to get a replacement speaker cable for an early 1070's ampeg SVT cabinet. The cable has a standard 1/4 plug on one end and what looks like a female XLR on the other, but the XLR jack has 4 pins.

    Does anyone know where I can get one?
    Does anyone know if it will be hard to replace the speaker jack on the cabiner with a female phone plug?

    Thanks y'all

  2. Captain Awesome

    Captain Awesome

    Apr 2, 2001
    Uh, try contacting Ampeg and see if anyone there knows what you can do about it.
    I guess you could try taking the cab into a shop and having a standard jack put in... :confused:
  3. Luis Fabara

    Luis Fabara

    Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    WOW.. 1070´s Ampeg?

  4. Muttluk

    Muttluk Guest

    Jan 19, 2000
    Oakland, California
    and XLR jack with 4 pin's... i dont think thats an XLR jack. the only thing i can think of is banana plug, but that wouldnt look anything like an XLR. I say bring the cable into a store like GC (Shudder) and ask them if they've got anything like that in stock, or able to order. The one thing i've found about GC, is their ability to special order almost anything.
  5. Lumpycat

    Lumpycat Guest

    Sep 16, 2001
    Philadelphia PA
    Thanks for the spell check. It's a 1973 Cabinet.
    It really looks like an XLR but again it has 4 pins instead of 3.
    I think that way back in highschool we had headset's that we used during play productions that used 4 pin XLR cords.....but that was almost as long as the cabinet is old.
    No one in the greater Philadelphia area has any clue on where to order this cable from.
    I don't want to modify the cabinet if I don't have to. I want to keep it as original as possible.
    I did try emailing Ampeg.. 4 or 5 times to be exact. I have no reply as of yet.
  6. sounds to me like an old DIN plug. I seem to remember hi fi components and stuff from the 60s had those type of plugs. I think they were european, or german design. man that might be hard to find, try some old electronics stores or maybe (shudder) radio shack.
    good luck
  7. Lumpycat

    Lumpycat Guest

    Sep 16, 2001
    Philadelphia PA
    DIN cables?
    That gives me a place to start!
  8. Luis Fabara

    Luis Fabara

    Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Well, its not DIN, it is actually a XLR4 A4M D4M or A4F D4F depending on the connector, but it is XLR4.

    I have XLR4 and XLR5 at my dad´s bussiness for some aplications.

    You should look for XLR4
    My best advice would be to disassemble it on the cab, look how the wires are connected, and replace it with a standard 1/4 Plug, or better yet Neutrik Speakon.