Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement speaker for 66 bassman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by harley_ou812, May 7, 2005.

1. I have a 66 black face bassman with 2x12 cab. I am planning on using it mostly for guitar and recording of bass/ bedroom practice. I was advised by a guitar tech to change the speakers from the Jensen Bluebacks to something else due to the Jensens blowing and no replacement parts eing made for hem anymore. Another tech suggested changing for tone alone. What would be some good speakers to put in this cab for bass and guitar?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    without knowing any (my gp does) i can tell you that googling will find you tons of websites for oem fender recones and original speakers.

next, opinions on all of the various speakers used in those vintage amps (and the tubes, and everything else) is all over the place. your guy may not liek them, the next guy will be telling you they're the best.

my gp bought 3 different divers for his 1964 vibroverb. one of them sounded the best, but that was based upon him and his ear. ten guys told him ten different things about each speaker, but in the end it was his ears that won out.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    www.webervst.com

email Ted and see what he thinks... he makes a wide variety or top quality vintage styled and toned drivers.

personally I would put a pair of "Michigan 12 Ceramics" in it.

4. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd

Apr 25, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    If you have pics of the speakers, their model number and such
    (should be on the rim), I'd be interested in buying them from you.
    I also have a 2 x 12 cab and the speakers are fried.

Send me a PM and let me know. If you get the weber
    or Eminence speakers, you can use those boxes to ship.

Thanks,

Spike