1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacement speaker for Acoustic B115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mattsdad, Jan 10, 2012.

1. mattsdad

mattsdad

Oct 5, 2009
    I'm looking at an Eminence Legend CB158 300w. Would this be a good replacement for this cab?

2. do you have the internal dimensions? Is this a sealed or ported cab?

3. mattsdad

mattsdad

Oct 5, 2009
    ported

4. mattsdad

mattsdad

Oct 5, 2009
    Sorry I meant sealed!!

5. the spec sheet says it can be used in a sealed cab up to around 2.3 cu ft volume. If you have the internal dimensions I can do a quick and dirty modelling and see how it might respond. That driver has a reputation for being pretty flexible w/cab size.

6. mattsdad

mattsdad

Oct 5, 2009
    Thanks but I don't have the internal dimensions.

7. can you give me the external ones? Take the front grill off and measure from the back to the front of the baffle board if you can. Also, can you tell if the sides are made of 3/4" or 1" thick sides? I can at least give you a ball park estimate.

8. mattsdad

mattsdad

Oct 5, 2009
    ok cool. Give me a few minutes.

9. mattsdad

mattsdad

Oct 5, 2009
    ok from baffle board to back is 14" and thickness is 3/4".

10. overall height and width?

I'm assuming the driver blew out, what amp were you using?

11. mattsdad

mattsdad

Oct 5, 2009
    H26"xW24". Using a Hartke LH500 but next month will be using an Ampeg PF-500.

12. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    24"W x 25"H x 16"D from website

13. I'm estimating a box volume of 4.2 cu ft, guessing on internal bracing etc taking up some space. You should go w/porting at this volume.

You'll need two 4 inch ports of 3.6" in length (each) to give you a box tuning of around 49Hz, your F3 is 48 Hz. Can use good old fashioned irrigation PVC piping from the hardware store.

If there's not enough space on the baffleboard to accomodate those two ports you can put them on the back. Not directly behind the driver but close to the bottom of the cab.

Not sure if the cabinet is lined or stuffed, but if not I'd recommend a 1 or so inch thick lining on the sides (not the baffleboard).

Hope this helps. Perhaps another more experienced TBer will chime in but I think this is pretty reasonable.

14. DOH! :scowl: :oops:

Thank you!

15. mattsdad

mattsdad

Oct 5, 2009
    Thanks for your help but I'm hoping someone can recommend a replacement speaker.

16. 5port

5port

Oct 14, 2009
    LI,new yawk
    Using Win ISD (on-line) and the speaker parameters from Carvin I ended up using two 2" ports that are 2.5" deep.It gave me a response somewhere around 37 Hz and sounds good. I installed a Carvin PS-15 rated at 400W (4 ohms). The PS-15 they sent me says Celestion on it. I bought the speaker about 6 months ago. I get no chuffing from the ports. Handles much more power now. No farting. Tone has changed with a bit more mids and less bottom. Very happy with the result. No more air pumping out of the rear jacks:

Acoustic 250W speaker on left and Carvin PS-15 on right:

Cabinet after Mod is done. Celestion installed:

B115005-1.

17. I just checked their website and they say its ported which makes sense given the size and power rating.

Can you measure the port diameter and guesstimate the length? Sorry to keep having you run back to it w/a tape measure but I think we're close.

18. well, here you go :cool: though I'd be a little concerned w/chuffing from ports that small a diameter given the wattage of the PF500.

19. 5port

5port

Oct 14, 2009
    LI,new yawk
    The factory rep from Acoustic admitted that the early B115s were ported. According to the rep they stop porting them soon after the first ones were shipped. They never changed the add text on the web.:mad:

20. good to know, geez......:eyebrow:

Looks like you could drop in 4" ports, that's a big baffleboard!