Replacement speaker for Ampeg B15N

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by forfenderjazz, Jan 22, 2006.

1. forfenderjazz

Jan 22, 2006
    I have a pair of old B15's that I play simultaneously on stage through an A/B box. One amp has what I think is an original speaker and the other a crappy replacement. Any suggestions as to which replacement speaker I could use that would get me close to the original? The sound through the correct speaker is killer. :D Thanks, Roy
  2. Those have had:

Jensen P15N
    Jensen C15N
    Altec 421A
    Altec 418B
    JBL D130F

Looks like quite a variety. I'm certain many of those are avilable for sale across the country/Ebay.

What in yours??
  3. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

1.) CTS 15G54B Warm, thumpy Vintage type
    2.) Gohleon - starnge speaker, smallish ,magnet, clearly hear harmonics etc. lotsa note definition.
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Not a strictly a vintage solution, but try Ted Weber at His version of the C15N willl probably be a good bit nicer than the Jensen reissue, judging from other Webers I've tried.

FWIW, the best B-15s I've heard had scary old square magnet CTS drivers in 'em.
  5. forfenderjazz

Jan 22, 2006
    That's what my "great sounding" B15N has, the square CTS speaker! That's the sound I'm trying to find for my other B15N cab. Thanks, folks. Roy
  6. forfenderjazz

Jan 22, 2006
  7. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Ted was once asked what was close to the CTS's that were in a lot of Portaflexes. He has or can make something that some claim to be pretty close.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.
  8. forfenderjazz

Jan 22, 2006
    Well, it sounds like I can't go wrong with a Weber, I'll buy a pair of speakers and then my set should match up nicely, Thanks, Roy
  9. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Digging up an old thread here, but I was wondering what ohm speaker should be used. Any help would be appreciated.
  10. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
  11. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i always liked a JBL D130F or a D140 in a B15N. i think that it is the ultimate combination.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have two double baffle has a CTS from 1966 made for a B-15, one has a new Eminence Delta 15A. If you blindfolded me, I don't think I could tell the difference between the two. I got the Delta 15A because it handles 300w and needed it for the Markbass combo I run it with. But Bruce at says the Beta 15, which handles 200w, is even a little better. I'd say at the cheap prices you can get those Eminence drivers compared to the way too much I paid for a CTS ($200 w/shipping), I would have been just as happy getting Eminences for both.
  13. Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    I have a couple of old Ampeg 115 with these I also have 2 X 15 Jbl cab with K140's
    The k140's are slightly more aggressive better power handling slightly more fart resistance. The Altec's are voice'd just a bit brighter, sort of midway between the 130 and 140 I use them with an Eden 8 X 10 XLT
    And the efficiency of the Altec being 103Db same as the K130 is very close to the Eden Cab if anything the altec is a little louder, mostly in the low end of course. I don't use the tweeter its bright enough without it if I change my strings.
    This after 35yrs full time pro is my cab holy grail at only 53 years old
    an eight by ten keeps me out of Gym memberships, I have arms like Arnie.
    I work in a studio and see all sorts of new bass gear come and go.
    I am quite amused by some of the newer ultra light weight Neo speakers especially how much they turn themselves down the hotter they get, handy hint never start recording a song with cold lightweight Neo's in a twelve min Metal track you might loose as much as a 1dB start to end.
    magnets don't sound different in speakers except some are totally thermally stable. And it aint ceramic and it certainly aint Neodium.
  14. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    When I first got my B15 it came with a re-coned CTS speaker. I had an Altec so I tried that in it and didn't like the result. I also had a JBL2205 that had been re-coned with a 2225 kit so I tried that too. It sounded really nice. That is currently how my B15 is configured but I intend to put the CTS back in when I get the time.

15. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    JBL D-140 was magic for me in the day. It just sounded right.
  16. Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    We are all talking about the most respected speakers at 15" dia on this planet. Altec, CTS and JBL probably between them ended up being recorded for most of the great sounds we asscociate with the bass guitar.
    The difference between them is a pickup, a cab design or your personal preference.
    In the right cab they all still take a lot of beating by todays offerings
    tone wise I think.
    But I do like me tens too.
    But if its just one fifteen ok The D/K/E 140 is the dogs dangley bits.
    Cleanest best Fart Resistance for sure.
    After All the 418B has a chamfered gap and is designed to break up
    softly. I love filth so its good for me.
    I fitted JBL 2226's to Rob Eaglestone of COF's endorsement Trace Elliot
    cabs huge increase of low end power and smooth mid but was not dingley dangley bright like the 140 its that ally voice coil cap sounds great.
  17. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I just ordered one to replace the original speaker in mine. I'll report back.
  18. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    Some guy wants to sell me a '73 B-15 cabinet with Electro Voice EVM15B speaker.
    What do you think? Would this speaker be a good replacement?
    The cab is dirt cheap (way cheaper than SX bass;) so I'm thinking of buying it.
  19. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The EV is a good driver, will handle up to a 100 watt amp just fine. Weighs a ton, though.