1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement speaker for Earth Sound Research cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bovine mind, May 12, 2010.

1. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    Looks like I'm picking up an Earth Sound Research cabinet that has a blown 15".

Not much info on these cabs, it contains two tweeters, a horn, and one 15" driver with no visible ohm or power rating on the back panel, which seems to have worn off any markings.

Here's a photo of the cabinet:

speakercabs-feb10012-1.

I have a spare EV DL15W speaker I'd like to use in this cabinet, but it is 8 ohms. Any tips on how I should install the speaker into the cab, and would an 8 ohm driver be a bad idea? Not sure what the ohm rating of th e speaker inside is, but I'm guessing it's probably 4 ohms?

Also, do these cabs have a crossover of some sort, how concerned should I be to keep from frying the two tweeters and horn?

Really wish I could find more info on Earth cabs online.

2. You can put the new speaker in. It will work, although whether optimally or not is a crapshoot. I would call the manufacturer of the speaker to find out the impedance and the crossover point and the size of the voice coil and the power handling capabilities. Then find out the same thing for your replacement. Or find out the replacement specs first, so you can ask EV how it will compare. If the crossover is close, you are probably ok. The rest of the parameters you need to know for yourself.

Earth Sound was very good in its day.

3. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    I have the specs for the EV speaker:

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Drivers/EDS/DL15W EDS.pdf

I don't have the specs for the speaker currently inside the cabinet.

I imagine my EV should work fine for what I'm going to use the cabinet for [ synth drones ] , but I don't know much about the ohm ratings of tweeters and horns, and how to make sure I have a proper load so as not to damage my amp or the cabinet speakers. Hopefully the speaker currently in the cab will have markings or a clear model #. The cab is so cheap I can't pass this up.

4. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    Anyone else care to weigh in?

5. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Hello.

That speaker is a copy of a Peavey.

Yes, a copy. A dead on copy of a Peavey.

Even down to the Aluminum side strips.

ESR made their living by ripping other companys off. Primarily FENDER and PEAVEY.
    They made amps that are dead on copys of Peaveys, and also amps that are bassman and other fender circuits in ESR boxes, then they have tweed glued on, and are called, TWEED amps. No wonder this company went under.

Just take a look at this. It matches a PEAVEY in every way except for the name.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EARTH-PEAVEY-ST...ultDomain_0&hash=item3eff9331e6#ht_500wt_1182

Rather explains the "Research" in "Earth Sound Research", eh? :p

I'd look into old Peavey cabinets from this time, and if you can find an exact aesthetic match, then get whatever was in that.

Also, how are you liking your SUNN Coliseum 300?

Not too much is known about ESR, except they were a New York Company who ripped others off. Been dead since before the 1980's.

6. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Bump ;)

7. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    Thanks KramerBassFan, great input here.

That Earth PA looks so much like the old Peavey Mark IV amps. I used to have one and loved the grind they could get.

I plan on buying the Earth cabinet, but haven't been able to find a good time for the guy and I to meet. I'm going to use my EV speaker and see how it performs. I actually found an ESR forum that had some interesting info including the law suit issue. I really just dig the fact that they're called EARTH and like the rare mojo involved with them, and I'm getting mine on the cheap.

Still not sure what the ohm rating on the cab is, and I'm worried my 8 ohm EV will mess with the total load when run with the two horns and tweeter, guessing the speaker inside is 4 ohms. Don't want to fry anything, not sure what the ohm ratings of the other drivers are and if I need to worry about that.

I absolutely loved the Sunn Coliseum 300. It was the first amp I ever bought and I had it repaired three times [ once due to idiocy before I knew much about ohm ratings, a second time after it rattled off a cab on to its face, and a third mysterious time ] until it finally gave up the ghost in a brilliant noxious cloud of smoke a couple of months ago. I can't remember exactly why my tech said was wrong with it, but basically one component blew inside and took a whole strip of components along with it, and it would take some extensive circuit rebuiling to get it working again. So I bought a near mint Acoustic 450 amp and have been happy ever since. I use my psuedo-Moog Taurus setup with it, and used it with the Sunn before.

8. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    I figured i'd bump this thread because I wasn't sure if you caught my reply. :D

Holy crap... that only went for $47! WOW!

Buy the earth cabinet mate, and then figure it out from there. I'm sure you'll get something to work. ;)

The speaker is probably 8 ohms.

Im sorry to hear about your Coli 300... mine is running strong! Even if it did arrive DOA. Man, what a scare!

But my 100w 4xEL34 Superbass has been getting alot of love recently....