Replacement speaker problem!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wbm3, Mar 31, 2004.

1. wbm3

Mar 31, 2004
    I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem, I'm just new
    to the forgive me.
    Anyhoo, I have a SWR Henry 8X8 cabinet that I've beat around for 6 years sin problemas...until now. I've blown a speaker. Too bad that through Fender/SWR the speakers are
    on backorder since November of last year with a date of April 30th of them being back in stock. This is straight from Fender's parts man. Since it's a custom speaker (8" 32ohm)
    it's an oddball. Apparently, all new Henry 8X8 cabinets have
    been put together for sale with the last available speakers...
    something to consider when buying. So, has anyone come
    across a replacement, have a replacement, or have any other
    advice outside of buying a new cabinet? I know Ampeg makes
    an 8X8 cabinet, but I don't know if it's compatible.
    Any help is appreciated.
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You are in one hell of a bind. You're right, that oddball speaker is going to be impossible to replace with aftermarket speakers. Even if you can get an 8" speaker out of another manufacturer's cab, what are the chances of it being the right nominal impedance, the right cab size and the right resonant frequency for the SWR's existing porting? Somewhere between nothing and Zip........

My advice, get back on the phone with Fender and this time, don't be nice! Tell them that their previous excuse just isn't good enough. Make them pull a speaker out of a completed cab if they have to........... and don't take no for an answer. Call every day if you have to. They'll eventually give in just to shut you up, but hopefully before it comes to that....
  3. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I would try what pete said, then while I was waiting, i would considering wiring up the cab so I could still use it. Since you say they use 8 32 ohm drivers, then I guess your final impedence is 4 ohms for that cab? IF the box is constructed in such a way that 4 speakers are in one chamber, and 4 are in a second chamber, then you could bypass the 4 speakers (one which is toast), and use it at 8 ohms for a while. It wont be as loud, but at least you can use it. It the speakers are in one big common chamber, than it isn't going to work. Just disconnecting that one speaker and running the rest of the 7 is a really strange ohm load, so don't do that.
    Good luck,
  4. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    You might call Jammin Jersey (do net search), somebody there will probably have a lead if that can't help you directly. If not, that will tell you something.
  5. Another success story involving non-standard parts, and manufacturers with the attitude "we have so much business we don't need yours."

First, map the wiring diagram and find a good place to save it. Once mapped, figure out how the impedance will change with one driver out of the picture. With that many drivers, the wiring possibilties are broad.

Calculate a new wiring scheme with an impedance your amp can tolerate without fear of damage. Remove the dead driver and block the hole. If the driver is sub chambered with another driver, this will double the Vas for the remaining driver, but this can't be helped. You could add the equivalent driver displacement in a block of hard foam, etc, to make up the volume difference.

Press SWR/Fender for the part. Escalate, escalate, escalate. The squeaky (but polite) wheel gets the grease. At the first sign of attitude or language, they will close the door on you forever. They are trained to use this smoke screen to get you off the phone and get rid of you. Remember, they have so much business they don't need yours.