Replacement Speaker Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Seth Watters, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Seth Watters

Seth Watters

Feb 23, 2004
    I own a Hartke 215XL Cabinet powered by a Hartke 3500 head. Recently, I blew my bottom sub, and need to replace it. My first question is can I disconnect the bottom sub and just run everything through the top one without hurting anything? My second question is who makes the best replacement 15 inch speaker for under 200 dollars?
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Well, you COULD do it but the remaining speaker might not be too happy either, or at least not for very long.

The cabinet is designed around the speakers. If you're replacing one, you'd be better off getting the blown one reconed (which is much cheaper than buying a new speaker) or you'll have to replace both speakers...lord only knows what a mismatched pair of 15s in a cabinet would sound like.
  3. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    For what it's worth, the amp is designed for a given load, if the speakers are run in parallel, you'll be okay but the volume will be less one speaker. If they're ran in series then you're only going to have half the load, and about 1/4 of the ouput since one speakers shot. So you'll probably blow it in short order if two of them weren't enough.

Harke's have those aluminum cones and I don't know that anyone else makes a replacement for them. Also, any Hartke 15 I've ever seen never went below 55 Hz, which surprisingly is not that uncommon for 15's - which I've jacked with plenty. In fact I have a near new pair of Celestion 15" Sidewinders I'd sell for $150 plus actual shipping (I bought them new, 20 hours of light playing on them).

I've had numbers of Klipsch, JBL, Altecs, and Celestions and each makes a speaker you'll like and won't like - like basses, personal preference that nobody can predict for you. But keep in mind that speakers are not only matched for each other but for the cab they go in. You may or may not have some wierd frequency stuff if you stick other speakers in there. You won't know till you try it. But, assuming the amp will take it down to 40 Hz, you can pretty much expect to gain bottom and loose top if you put a speaker in that drops that low. With that Hartke aluminum cone, you'll probably loose top no matter what.
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Hartke's have an unusual sonic character, and you will not find a suitable replacement from anyone but Hartke directly. Adding just any other speaker 'off the shelf' so to speak will likely conflict with the sound characteristics of the remaining speaker, not to mention the tuning of the cabinet itself. You are best to either replace both speakers so they match and to alter the cab's ports accordingly, or just replace the blown speaker with a genuine Hartke replacement.

Also, if you blew a 15, there is something definitely wrong IMO. If you blew one, you'll blow another. Are you clipping your power amp or attempting to run it beyond its capabilities?
  5. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Not sure I go with something being wrong for the speaker to blow idea but abuse is one source for sure. If nothing else, speakers get old, could have been a flaw in material or assembly, and speakers take a bunch of abuse anyway just in doing what they do. It amazes me that 15's and 18's work at all.

Never really paid attention to Hartke speaker design but aluminum as a material definetly fatigues. Depending on age, and if the amp has been abused, there is a good possibility that the other speaker may not be far behind.