replacement speaker recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brian Gordon, Sep 21, 2000.

1. Hi!

I've got an old Traynor 2x15 speaker cabinet I've let sit around for a few years. I blew one of the speakers a long time ago and since then, the cab has just collected dust. The old blown speaker is gone, so don't suggest reconing. The cab used to hold two 15" 40 watt 16 ohm Eminence speakers which were wired in series for a total 8 ohm load.

I'd like to revive the cabinet with a pair of new 15" drivers. I'd like to end up with an 8 ohm cabinet that handles about 175 watts to mate with my 8 ohm Ampeg 15-10-tweeter cab which is also rated at 175 watts. It would be cool to install drivers that handle more power, but I wouldn't use it in this case. I'd just underpower the cab since I plan to use my Ampeg 350 watt power amp to power both cabinets. Also, I don't want to get too expensive. If I were going to spend a lot of money, I'd just buy a new cabinet (which is what I did in the first place).

Also, this cabinet is kind of shallow compared to most, so I'm concerned about things not sounding as good as they could because the cabinet is not tuned right for the speakers. Any suggestions for changing the characteristics of the cabinet (like modifying the porting) to better match the speakers would be appreciated.

So what do you think? Could you give me some suggestions for replacement speakers? I figure two 4 ohm or 16 ohm 100 watt 15's would do the trick. Give me some suggestions for speakers and where to get them from. I'd appreciate it!
  2. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Check out Parts Express at I've gotten stuff through this company before. They carry Eminence and other brands. They carry speakers for all kinds of applications, so make sure you get the *good* musical instrument drivers. Your cabinet sounds a lot like my old Kustom 2x15. It is shallow, but I'm sure you could find appropriate speakers for it. There are computer programs available to help you design cabinets and/or ports for particular drivers (Parts Express sells them, I think). If you are technically inclined, go for it. I haven't used one yet - not enough need to warrant the cost. Perhaps P.E. has a technical person who could recommend a driver if you give him/her an accurate description of your cabinet interior dimensions and any porting and insulation in it. Good luck.