1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement speakers and cab resale value?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yossarian, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    Oh, the horrors of lending gear. I had a Gallien Krueger 410SBX cab that I had been planning to sell, and it now has blown speakers. I was thinking of replacing them with some Eminence BP102s or maybe the new B810s, but I'm having some trouble figuring out how much it'd be reasonable to spend on replacement speakers, because I don't know what the cab will be worth.

So basically I'm wondering how the lack of original speakers should affect the value of this cab. How do I determine how much the cab is worth once it has different speakers? Less, because they're not the originals, or maybe more, because they're brand new? The same? I dunno.

And I know the sketchiness about asking for values on here - I'm not trying to sell this right now, just trying to figure how to avoid screwing myself over in the future! Thanks everybody!

2. BBEgo

BBEgo

Apr 14, 2010
    Corona, CA
    re-cone the speakers. Retains resale value, as well as restoring the functionality of the cab.

3. Figure out what the market value of the cab was when working.

Make the guy that screwed it up pay you

Give him the dead cabinet

No more headache

4. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
  5. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    Depend on how many are blow, if the speakers price = the selling price and then you sell it you made 0.00

6. Hi.

IME replacing speakers is rarely worth it if You're selling the cab right away.

Since the majority of the bass cabs on the market are of a vented type, the replacement has to match the enclosure exactly. Sealed ones are a bit easier, but still the speaker has to match the enclosure for optimum performance.

But why bother in the first place? You already have a buyer. The person who broke it.

Regards
    Sam