Replacement speakers for 70's SVT cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rickenbackerman, May 2, 2001.

1. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I've got this old cab I don't know what to do with. There's no tolex on it, and it's covered with stickers and is so cool looking, but it just doesn't have enough volume! (currently using two eden 410XLT's) I did have a chance to A/B my cab with a current production cab, and the new one blew mine into the weeds...

So if you had a 70's SVT cabinet, and the speakers were going, would you get new (better) speakers like in the current production cabs, or get the old ones reconed? (if that would help?)

The 70's speakers were made by CTS, and the new ones are made by eminence. The newer ones have a much higher power rating and bigger magnets, voice coils, etc..
    but the new ones are EX$EN$IVE!

Or I could throw some Carvins in it for $50 a pop?

2. Rickenbackerman,
    I have the same dilema. I have a early straight cab 8-10 SVT cabinet with the original CTS Alnico speakers.
    I need to get one of them re-coned but have had a problem finding the kits for them.
    I also have a newer 4-10 SLM and 2-12 cab and know the difference in sound between the older and newer speakers.
    I prefer the older speakers.
    IMO they sound clearer and more defined, NOT muddy like my 4-10 / 2-12.
    As far as power is concerned regarding the older cab......It smokes the newer one !!! I run it with a '74 SVT head and have no trouble being heard in my band.
    "But I'm rambling".
    If I were you, I would try to find a re-cone kit and keep the originals as true as possible.
    It's just my opinion, Good luck.
  3. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Tom, thanks for your input! Although I must say your opinion on old vs. new speakers is completely opposite of mine! LOL I've heard quite a few people say they prefer the old ones too...

I just had a thought - I know I had a few of the speakers out of the cab to repair the surrounds a while ago - I wonder if all the speakers are in phase... hmmm... will check that tonight! That would have a HUGE effect on the sound, me thinks.

and I agree on trying to keep those CTS's original if possible...
  4. Rickenbackerman,
    You say you removed the speakers?
    This may sound silly but.......Make sure you have tightened down the wood screws so that there is no buzzing or undo vibrations coming from around the edge of the speaker. I recently had my speakers out and had a hell of a time re-tightning the screws to where they had no buzzing etc.
    At first they sounded terrible & out of phase.
    Hope that helps.