Replacement Speakers for a Peavey Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sapo, Jul 29, 2002.

1. I want to replace the Black Widow speakers in my mid to late 80's Peavey 215D (2X15) cabinet. There's nothing wrong with my speakers, I'm just looking for some drivers that can handle more power. (I really like the cabinet...I've had it forever and its solid as a rock.) I believe 15" BW speakers from this era can handle about 250 watts RMS. I'd like to bridge my QSC PLX 1602 into this cab at 4 Ohms which is about 1600 watts.

I know that speakers have to be matched to the cabinets for optimum performance, unfortunately my ability to grasp these kinds of calculations are pathetic. Can anybody familiar with the cab in question recommend a speaker that may work? I'm looking for a speaker that would have lots of midrange. Thanks.
  2. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    If I recall the Eminence KAPPA 15LF might do the trick. The man you need to talk to is Bgavin however.

Also changing drivers will probably change the sound alot. Black Widows are very Mid heavy compared to any other 15s.

Peavey just came out with the BlackwidowX about a year ago, and I think they take 500wattsRMS each!!! You might try one of those.
  3. Thanks for the info. I'll check into those speakers.