1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

replacement speakers for a redhead

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kennyrodg, Oct 5, 2008.

1. kennyrodg

kennyrodg

May 5, 2008
    Preston,UK
    Hey gang and greetings from across the pond.
    Ive been asked a favour by my none internet using friend,Please could you reccommend a pair of replacement speakers for an SWR redhead 2x10 combo.
    thanks in advance.
    His bass is an early 2 band Stingray with flats and style of music is funkee.
    thanks in advance.:D

2. Hi.

I had good results replacing WorkingMans 10 driver with a (Eminence) Hartke XL 10".

I'd model, with WinISD for example, Eminence Deltalites or Gammas for that box. The tuning is easy to change with the port if the internal volume is sufficient.

The Gammas are on sale in Musicstore.de in Germany for 38€ BTW.

Regards
    Sam

3. kennyrodg

kennyrodg

May 5, 2008
    Preston,UK
    thanks sam.
    since making enquiries ive heard that the beta 10's go quite well in the redhead,any thoughts ??

4. Hi.

You're welcome.

The Gammas and Hartke OEMs are the only Eminence drivers I'm familiar with, but I see no reason that the Betas wouldn't work as well.

The Deltalites seem to be praised beyond belief here at TB ;), but most of the praise is for the weight savings rather than superior tone.

The cab should be tuned to the replacement speakers though, and it means either reducing the size of the ports (if rectangular as in my WM10) or making an additional round port.

The Hartke T/S parameters aren't readily available so I just tested the tuning by ear and it worked without modifying the ports.

Regards
    Sam