1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement Speakers for Ampeg Combo Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by P Town, Oct 16, 2013.

1. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    I am repairing my friends Ampeg SS140C guitar combo amp. After getting the amp functional, I find both 12 inch speakers bad. I assume they are 8 Ohm. Can anyone tell me what 12 inch speakers would be suitable replacements for this 140 Watt open back guitar combo? He said he does not want to spend a lot of money on it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Ask Ampeg. I'm sure they'll have suitable replacements.

3. It's an open back guitar combo, so you don't have to worry about picking a speaker that's tuned for the cab.

Instead, just pick a pair of guitar speakers that are a) capable of handling at least 70 watts each and b) cheap and hopefully c) can produce the tone your friend wants.

Does your friend like bright Marshall guitar amps? Or something with more lows and midrange? Sort through the possibilities at Parts Express...http://www.parts-express.com/cat/guitar-speakers-bass-guitar-speakers/37?kg=497|3924&sort=pasc

4. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    RickenBoogie. I emailed Loud Tech, and they were no help.

nashvillebill. Thanks for the suggestion. He did mention that he liked the tone of a Marshall, but price may be more important to him. Since I have not owned, or dealt with open backed speaker systems, I was not aware that it is as simple as selecting speakers by tone, power handling, and impedance, but it makes sense, since there is no enclosure volume, or ports to figure into the selection process. I have dealt with Parts Express before.

Thanks!

5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I wonder how they managed to blow both speakers. Do they play metal? What you install should also depend on if the owner wants a clean sound or if they want speaker distortion when the amp is pushed.

I've seen what looks like an Eminence speaker in one of those amps. If you're feeling adventurous, you could try a DIY re-cone.

6. I've bought lots of Eminence speakers from Parts Express over the years and I like them.

Some folks have recommended Warehouse Guitar Speakers but I have not dealt with them. http://wgs4.com/all-products

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not surprised, as it was disco'd long before LOUD took over the reins. Frankly, this is a discussion you should be having on a guitar board.

8. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Jimmy, I realize questions about guitar speakers are a little out of place here, but this is where the smart guys hang out, so please forgive me.

Based on his desire to not put much money into this amp, and nashvillebills mention of Parts Express, I am going to run these by him:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=299-408

I suggested he take it to a local guy for a re-cone, and he is not interested. If it was mine, I would try my hand at doing a re-cone myself.

Thanks for the responses.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would research it more thoroughly, since tone is a real subjective thing and guitar amps aren't beholden to the same "rules" as bass amps. I'd rather spend a few days researching and maybe spending a little more to get decent speakers than throwing the first speakers at a cheap price I see.

Also might float Jensen Mods at you. A surprisingly good speaker for the money.

10. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I noticed that the user's manual is available on the Ampeg web site.

This amp has two separate channels and two outputs. They claim that it is 70W @ 8Ω, 90W into 4 ohms. That's per channel. The speakers were rated 70W, 8Ω each. If the info is correct, there should be a cable going to each speaker. In that case, you'd want two 8Ω speakers or two 4Ω speakers, not the 16Ω speakers.

11. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    I just talked to the guy, (he lives right next door), and he said he may not put any money into the amp. (I did not charge him a dime to get the dirt channel working), (By the way, I've got the hots for his beautiful sister, who can sing like you wouldn't believe, but that's a story for different forum for sure), and he asked me if I would be interested in buying it for $100.00. The SS140C is not really the type of Ampeg guitar combo I would be interested in, and he does not seem too motivated about making it right, so I think I'll let him decide what he wants to do, and if he wants me to swap out the speakers, I will, but I'm leaving the rest of it up to him.

Thanks to all who provided input on this.

12. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Offer him $50 and tell him that you'll take his sister out.

PS: I edited my post above re the speakers.

13. The link to the users manual was helpful.

This amp was Ampeg's answer to the Roland Jazz Chorus, which was/is fairly popular...mostly among jazz guys, who like lots of clean headroom, and hence the high power at 70wpc. Fender had its own versions too, the Ultra/Ultimate chorus and the lower-powered Princeton Chorus. Peavey had similar chorus models too. All of these amps also had distortion to try to appeal to rock guitarists but typically the distortion was not considered to be very outstanding. The chorus feature was the main appeal.

So to keep the clean sound at high power, that really limits your speaker choices. Most guitar speakers are rated at lower power and are intended to break up as they are pushed, so the speaker contributes to the amp's sound. For these amps though, most folks don't want the speaker to break up so much.

I dunno if its worth $100 without working speakers. $50 maybe as beans said...

I've got a unused pair of speakers laying around that would work great in that amp, if you were close to Nashville.