Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement Speakers for SWR Silverado

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hebbster, Mar 13, 2006.

1. hebbster

hebbster

Mar 13, 2006
    I have a SWR Silverado (2x12's) that I bought used. One of the speakers has a slight buzzing, and a scratchy sound when I push the cone in and out. I suspect the voice coil is gone. Rather than go through the pain of trying to get SWR/Fender replacements, I'd rather just replace them myself.

Does anyone know the OEM speakers or a suitable 3rd party replacement? Has anyone replaced their Silverado speakers with any luck?

2. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    noone helped ... i need to know also !!

3. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I am still rockin' mine (bought new way, way back).

You might have more luck and lower cost by getting it reconed.

4. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    no time for the turn around . i need a speaker in mine for a upcoming smaller venue show .

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Uh, speaking of info, got the cab tuning and the internal net volume? If not, dump some 2512 in there and call it a day.

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Just get a driver with the same specs as the original. Finding out the specs on the original, not so simple. Manufacturer's don't give out that information, mainly so you have to buy replacements from them rather than another source.

7. buckminster

buckminster Banned

Apr 29, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    The Bigfoot had Bag Ends, but I'm not sure about the Silverado...

8. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    i havent removed them . thats on schedule for tomorrow . i ordered some carvin 12's after talking to the rep and getting some specs , they are about the same as the peavey black widows and eminence speakers . and they were really cheap . if i dont like them ill return them . ill let everyone know what i think of them . i have used a lot of their sound gear for years (15s , horns , 18's , eq's , and one power amp) and have had great luck with it . had a bass rig i really liked , so for 115.00 ill give 2 of them a shot .. if they suck , they suck and ill ship em back ...

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    How'd they turn out?