1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

replacement strings for stock L2k Trib?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ack, Feb 28, 2008.

1. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    I've had my L2K Tribute for about a year, and it's just now going out of tune after I play it. For the first 11 months, I've rarely had to touch a tuner, so I'm guessing the strings need to be swapped out. They sill sound OK, but not a great as they did once (or I'm getting worse!)

I've been told that SIT strings came stock on the Tributes, but I can't confirm.

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions for a replacement set (4-string). I'm somewhat new (2 years) to bass, and I play mostly classic rock (Pink Floyd, Uriah Heep, REM, Springsteen) Rockabilly (X, Social Distortion, Thorogood) Blues/Rock (Clapton, Zeppelin, Clutch) and that kind of stuff.

I want to try something different, just to experiment. If not, I'm going to put on a set of Fender 8250 Nickels.

I've tried, or am currently using:
    - GHS Boomers (Turser 401 '54 P copy) - like em
    - GHS Brite Flats (SX fretless Jazz) - OK
    - Rotosound 66's - didn't care for them, they sounded dead.
    - D'Addario XL Chromes (Dean Edge) - nice, but noisy (my technique, probably)
    - Fender 8250 Nickels (Samick Hollowbody RLB4) - great
    - DR LoRiders (ESP B254) - very nice
    - Mystery Set (Fender MIM Special) - love em.

The Mystery Set came on the MIM that I bought in a pawn shop. They're Roundwounds (chrome, I think) with Black ball-ends and a tapered E and A string. I know that's not a lot of info, but if anyone has a clue as to what brand these strings could be, that would be great.

Thanks for any useful replies.

Steve

2. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I had a Tribute L2K for about a year and used the Brite Flats on it. Since trading it off, I'm become a believer in Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats, which are on all my basses. They are not as colored as the GHS strings (I've recorded a couple of my basses with both) to my ear.

The L2K is a versatile instrument and the TIs will bring out what it's capable of.

3. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh

Excellent - I've been meaning to try the TI's.
    Thanks.

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I think G&L switched from SIT powerwound nickle to DA XL170 nickel rounds some years ago.
    I really like both, very well. Great sound, great life, great pricepoint.

For flats, I prefer LaBella 760FL; a little more top end, no less low end, and a good medium tension. I find the TI's too floppy. Lots of guys don't tho.

5. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO

How would you describe the LaBella 760FLs on a L2K ash / maple. I am going to pull the EB 50-105 flats off and either go with a set of TI Superalloys or 760FLs that I have laying around. Can't decide where to start.