1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement/Substitute for Pigtronix EP-1 Filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Colonel Monk, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Hi All:

OK, so I have been trying to find a replacement for this pedal, essentially something that sounds similar/same but has a regular footprint.

I really do like the pedal, but can't justify the space it takes up on my board. There's a riff I wrote with this thing that sounds kickass, mostly due to the pronounced "quack" this envelope phaser has. I have no need for the regular phaser operation of this pedal, I've only used it as a filter.

So far, I have tweaked my current filters to try and get this sound to no avail:

EBS Bass IQ
    DOD FX25
    DOD FX25B
    EHX Dr Q
    EHX Qtron
    EHX BMS (yes, you can make it sound like a filter)
    Digitech BSW

I also have a bassballs, but knew it couldn't do it right.

So, suggestions? It's gotta have that "quack".

Thanks,

CM

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    This question is interesting to me because I went through the exact same thing. I loved the sound of the envelope phaser side of the Pigtronix but wasn't really using the phaser side and wanted something smaller and could be powered off a PPII+. But I used it on an original where I really needed to keep that sound.

The problem is that no other filter sounds like it. That wet phaserish tone to the filter is hard to match. The Polyphase is similar but not as funky IMO. The Toadworks Phantasm is pretty close, but that's a very expensive solution.

Not ideal, but my solution was to use a separate filter and phaser in combination to get that sound. Both the Xotic Robotalk (the old one) and the Maxon AF-9 were great for dialing it in. The phaser seemed to matter a bit less. I got great results with the Maxon PH-350, DOD 595, Small Stone and Mutron Phasor II.

At one point I was going to do a bunch of clips to compare filter/phaser combos to the EP-1, but never did and now I've sold the Pigtronix. But about 2/3 of the way in on this clip is the AF-9 with the DOD 595. I think is sounds close to the EP-1.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    True, that Pig is a thing unto itself. I sold mine yesterday for the same reason. It's just too big, and the phaser side is mediocre. My substitute for the filter half is a Menatone MailBomb, but it's a real trick tweaking that one into sounding like the pig. I get close with very mild settings, a soft attack, and the filter depth almost off. QTrons are great, but nowhere in the same galaxie as the pig, and really, neither is anything else I've heard. My MailBomb is as close as I've come, so far.

4. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    EHX stereo polyphase.

It's slightly more tweakable but there's not trigger sidechain.

Mine's on its way back from Dave's lab in Yonkers as we speak.

Keep it on your board. Phaser is useful, envelope is great. The sidechain makes this a huge tool.

You'll find great things to use it for if you try and will make your clean tones stand out when you bypass it.

5. Guys,

Thanks for the responses so far - yes, I forgot that for this sound I was using the second out from my delay to trigger the sidechain!

I agree, I funking love this filter. Why O Why did they have to make it so damn big?

Maybe what I'll do in the meantime is build a mini board with just the effects I need for this riff - then I'll only bring it when we're playing it.

In the meantime, I'll keep looking and will try your suggestions...

CM

6. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    It's really not that big. Phaser brings it all together anyway.

Don't fight it, Col.Monk.

7. I hear you. I do have a pretty big board though, like 30" by 20" - and it's packed without the piggie. That's why I think it's big.

I think a smallish sound board is a good compromise for now.

quack quack