replacement tube

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slipknot229, May 31, 2001.

1. Hi everyone. I recently purchased an SWR Bass 350 and I LOVE it to death. However, i noticed in the manual that the preamp tube (a 12AX7, i believe) is a GROOVE TUBES. Now i know that all these companys who offer tubes all get them from different sources (ie-sovtek, et. all). SO....i was wondering your opinions and experiences with groove tubes, who they get the tubes from and who makes the best tube ( i am absolutly ignorant about tubes so bear with me) and was also wondering if theres a tube out there that doesnt make too much noise when i boost the treble/mids. thanks a lot(for dealing with my ignorance)

2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I'm no expert but I have used ECC83's (as we call em) made by Mullard GT and Sovtek. It might be heresy but theres not much difference IMHO. If you want more or less gain you can chop n change valves (as we call em) and if theres only one it wont cost the earth. I think GT used Sovtek and JJ Tesla and test them. As this thread has gone back up the top maybe someone more knowledgeable can help fill the gaps.