1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement Tubes for DB 359?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ajb, Mar 20, 2006.

1. ajb

ajb

Mar 20, 2005
    Alright everyone, I tried this thread before and got no responses but I'll give it another shot: I may need to re-tube my DB 359 (based on discussions I've had with the folks at Aguilar) and am wondering what kind of tubes would be the best. I'm thinking of trying out the Eurotubes KT 88's. Any other thoughts?

2. JJ KT88's are great tubes. Since you mentioned you had asked previously, I searched your past posts and based on what you said in them, I'm not convinced that tubes ARE your problem. They may be, but the problems you are experiencing could be caused by a whole host of other stuff and your current tubes are just fine. Have you taken your amp to a repair tech at all?

3. ajb

ajb

Mar 20, 2005
    Thanks for taking the time to look up my past posts Psycho. Actually, my amp is currently in the possession of the folks at Aguilar for repairs. Dave Boonshoft called me today and told me that they did all kinds of stress tests on the amp and weren't able to find anything wrong. According to Dave the amp is in perfect operating condition.

If Dave and his staff checked out the amp and are satisfied that it's okay, then I'm satisfied, although a sick part of me wants to take some (any) sort of remedial action. So that's why the tube question.

So let me derail my own thread: What the heck could have happened to my amp to cause it to cut out on me, and why has an intensive search to find the problem by the manufacturer come up empty? Somebody in my other threads addressing this issue said it could have been dirt or other foreign substance, and that's beginning to sound like the most rational explanation to me. A couple of weeks before the amp cut out on me at rehearsal Aguilar's waranty repair people here in California checked out the amp for an unrelated reason, and maybe some dirt got in there and caused the cut out. Any other ideas?

4. I'm leaning this direction. All it would take would be some sort of small foreign object to short a signal path or power bus and the amp would do exactly what you have described. Passinwind is the guy who suggested this initially and he's a sharp guy, been repairing amps for years and knows his stuff. I know you're freaked, but give the amp a chance after Aguilar gets it back to you before you go changing anything in it.

5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    There's in internal fuse that can go out sometimes and it shuts the whole amp down. When my fuse went out, something caused one of the tubes to die also. I got new tubes and haven't had a problem since. I used the winged c tubes and I have been very happy

6. A fuse would cause a TOTAL shutdown and would not be intermittent. I would also venture the tube died FIRST in your amp and that's what took out the fuse.