1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacement Tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by monroe55, Oct 3, 2009.

1. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
    Hey,
    I recently purchased an SVT IIP preamp used I wanted to replace the tubes (seems like a common practice). Any pros and cons on which tubes and companys to buy from?:help:

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    If you want to see a real noticeable difference in a tube pre like that, the most common suggestion I see is to find some vintage/NOS tubes. Outside of that, the majority of modern pre-amp tubes aren't going to give you huge differences in tone. Is that the one with the 5 tubes? I had one of the SVT pre's at one point, can't recall which one, but I remember at the time most reviews I read recommended replacing the "ampeg hot rods" 12AU7 that came with it.

3. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    If you want to do tube rolling in your preamp ... I'd suggest starting with one tube position and try several tubes in that socket before moving to the next, you can by NOS tubes off E-bay, but that is a crap-shoot ( lots of fakes, relabled tubes ) try to find a Hi-Fi, radio store in your town that has tubes, the new tubes being sold are O.K. , some batchs are good, ,some are so, so ...there have been some TB's who have said that the new reissued Tung-Sol & Mullard brands are pretty good, and I have tried them my self and like them, the old Ampeg Hotrod Tubes I believe we're made by the old Tesla Tube Co., all in all it is a fun thig to do, and you can spend little money to large amounts of money on preamp tubes ,as to the brands of NOS tube some people say that the Telefunken tubes are really good,to being the holy grail .... I've had good luck in the JAN tubes ( Joint Army Navy ), and the GE,Sylvania & RCA, ...... it's trying to find a good, honest dealer, is really the issue ... IMHO, here's a good site to get you started ..... http://www.vacuumtube.com/FAQ1.htm

4. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
  5. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
  6. Why do you want to replace your tubes?? Is the pre-amp faulty???

Paul

7. Lapicide

Lapicide

Feb 19, 2008
    I went down the path of trying quite a few tubes in several different amps and preamps that I have. H&K BATT, Trace Elliott V type, SWR SM400s, SWR IOD, a few others and one that I built. I found that different tubes work/sound better in different devices than others. Generally speaking, I really like the Telefunkens most , and RCA (Marconi) or TAD 12ax7 in second, of course depending on the equipment. Teles have extended smooth highs, soft even mids and smooth extended bass. Guess that's why audiophites really like them. I tried NOS Jan sylvania, Groove tubes, Mullard military version and a few others. I'd like to try Teslas and JJ one day too. The latter ones I mentioned have more mid range presence, works well in the SWR IOD giving the aural enhancer the most flexibility. I have two trace Elliott V-type pres each with different tubes (Teles in one and Tele and Mullard in the other) and they have quite a different sound. There are a number of dealers, i'm sure you found on the internet. I called http://www.vacuumtubesinc.com/ Jim was a great help. I got a tele and Marconi (rebadged RCA black plate, but cheaper) Very helpful. http://kcanostubes.com/ was very helpful also. I bought some off ebay, but knew what I wanted. I have read, but do not know for sure, some manufactures have new tubes labeled to look like NOS, hence sell them for more, plausible ... yes. I don't know. You can find NOS tubes manufactured by one company for another. For example Tele made Fischer tubes and a few others. RCA made Marconi and others. You can save a few dollars possibly, then get more tubes to try and on and on. You just might open a can of worms. Check out some dealers and definitely do comparison shopping. Good luck in your search......Lapicide

8. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    'Why do you want to replace your tubes?? Is the pre-amp faulty???' +1