1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement Tuner for Ibanez SoundGear

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by FatFunk, Jul 4, 2017.

1. FatFunk

FatFunk

Jan 5, 2015
    Hi!
    I've got an Ibanez SR905 (2004 Made in Korea), and today one of the tuners broke (the metal gave up, the peg separated from the tuning machine, it died, kaput!).

I'm looking to get a quick and low price replacement. I will probably look for something better in the long run, probably change the whole set.

Now, I'm in Argentina, and this stuff is not that easy nor that cheap to find.
    Apparently, I can get ahold of a "JinHo" tuner that seems appropriate.
    Here's the manufacturer web
    ♪ Jin Ho Instrument Co., Ltd ♪ ※ Guitar Tuning Keys ※

Has anyone tried them on a SoundGear? Do they fit?
    Thanks!

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Should fit. They're all Gotoh GB-7 (3/8") knock-offs: JinHo, Ping, and so forth.

Riis

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  3. DimHelmet

DimHelmet

Feb 25, 2003
    I just had the same thing happen to my SR905! Did these work out for you?

4. If you want machine-heads that will fit an Ibanez AND will not FAIL very quickly, get GOTOH.

I recommend buying from Philadelphia Luthier Tools, if you're in the U.S.:

https://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/tuning-machines/bass-tuning-machines/gotoh-gb350-res-o-lite-compact-bass-tuning-machines-tuners-preconfigured-sets

If you buy the cheap one, you'll just have to replace it again soon. Change them all now & save yourself the hassle later.

I'm an avid supporter of Ibanez products, but I will bad-talk the machine-heads on their Standard instruments all day, because I've had a lot of problems with them:

Ibanez machine-heads, am I unlucky or doing something wrong?

Gt6s, Lownote38 and Zooberwerx like this.
  5. DimHelmet

DimHelmet

Feb 25, 2003
    Thanks!

6. FatFunk

FatFunk

Jan 5, 2015
    Straight answer: it worked. But I did get some Gotoh replacements later on.
    My OCD would not allow having a "black sheep" tuner.

7. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I recently picked up a SR1206 (Premium line) and it has Gotoh GB7s... maybe all Premium (and maybe Prestige) come with the Gotohs?