1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement tuners for an SX Ursa 2

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Otteroni, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Otteroni

Otteroni

Nov 30, 2018
    Hey all,

I'm Iooking for some tuners to replace the stock ones on my SX Ursa 2. Overall the bass is pretty good for the price but my tuners are awful. Anyone know of replacements that will slot right in?

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Welcome to Talkbass.
    After searching for pictures of the tuners, it appears you bass has Schaller BMF tuners (or clones) on it. If the measurements match you can buy Schaller BMF tuners; otherwise post a closeup photo of the tuner. I doubt your tuners don't do their job, there will be play in any tuner you put on there.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  3. Otteroni

Otteroni

Nov 30, 2018
    Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely look into those.
    The issue with my current tuners is not that they don't work but that the gears are grinding. This pic is kinda bad but you can kind of see that some of the teeth have almost been crushed by the worm gear.

Attached Files:

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    The issue with grinding probably isn't the gears. It is probably the post rubbing against the bushing on the otherside of the head stock. Before you spend money on new tuners, I reccommend you try adding a small touch of lube to the post. To PROPERLY do that, loosen the string. Then use a philips screwdriver to remove the large screw on the gear almost completely. Turn the screw driver around and give the screw a good rap. That will drive the post out of the gear. Now remove the screw and the post; but be careful. There should be a flat spring and a piece of plastic under the gear. Use a little candle wax or the tiniest dab of vaseline you can on the inside of the bushing, a little vaseline is way too much. DO NOT PUT ANY LUBE ON THE POST OR GEAR. Now assemble the post back, next the spring, and then the plastic piece (if they are present.) Finally replace the gear and screw it back in place. Restring and retune. See if that helps with the grinding noise.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  5. Otteroni

Otteroni

Nov 30, 2018
    Thanks a ton for the detailed response. I'll definitely have to try that out.