1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement tuners for Fender Deluxe 5 stringer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SwitchGear, Mar 22, 2009.

1. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I have a '97 Fender American Deluxe 5 stringer with the 5 in 1 headstock, and diamond shaped tuners. I wish to change the diamond shaped tuners out with the deluxe clover tuners as used by Fender on 5 stringers in the late nineties/early 2000's.

Can I purchase just the replacement tuner heads themselves, and change by unscrewing the old tuner parts and screwing on the new? You know, just replace the moving tuner itself and not the whole assembly? If so, where can I buy just the deluxe style tuner parts?

Thanks in advance.

2. I have one of the later models with the 4+1 config and changed to Hipshot Ultralites. Different tuners I know. Give Brian at bestbassgear.com an email. He has great CS and is fairly knowledgable. I think your tuners are like the Gotoh mini tuners from memory. If you want my opinion go with the Hipshot Ultralite clover leaf style. They have the look you want without the added weight (no neck dive). I think you will be after the version with the 3/8 inch post.

3. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Yes, mine has the Grover mini's. Thanks for the tip. I'll check out bestbassgear.

4. If these are the same tuners found on the four string Deluxes from that period, good luck finding them. I tried to get replacements from Fender but they are out of production and out of stock.