Replacement tuners for Stingray 5?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dave Metts, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Alrighty, so here's the situation:

I've got a used Stingray 5 that has tuners that rattle really badly when I play certain notes. It basically seems like the cloverleaf has come loose from the shaft part of the key (dunno if I explained that correctly).

Anyway, I'm not seeing a way to fix the tuners at all, and I'd really rather not deal with tuners that rattle like crazy. So I'm looking for a way to get some replacement tuners for this bass. A lot of you guys own Stingrays, so I'm sure you know what the tuners look like. Basically, they seem like your basic open gear Fender style tuners.

I did a search here on TB, and it looks like Schallers are pretty popular replacements. However, I've only been able to find them in sets of 4! Is there anyway I can replace all 5 tuners without breaking the bank by ordering 2 sets?

Also, if anyone has any ideas for other good replacement tuners, I'd love to hear about those as well.

2. I think StewMac carries Schallers. They do come in sets of 4, but you can also order them individually, so you'd order a set of 4, then buy an extra. You can get them at:

3. I don't see a place on their website that allows the tuners to be ordered individually. I take it that if I call to place my order they'll allow me to do that, then?

I think the Schallers are what come stock on the Stingray 5(though they're stamped as MusicMan). So if I can get them individually, they'd be the perfect solution in this case.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Just get yourself a tube of thickened CA glue ("Super Glue"), and no more rattle. Flow a small amount into the joint area, and let set.

Don't use the thin stuff - it'll flow too much for this use.

I've fixed several noisy tuners for friends this way!
  5. Excellent idea, Heavy!

Thanks a ton! I'm going to try that out as soon as I can run to the store (I need some super glue around anyway).
  6. I haven't checked their web site, but it's definitely in their catalog. They should be able to help you out.
  7. Cool, I may have to get a catalog sometime. :)

Thanks to both of you!
  8. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    ditto on the super glue...

If you do decide to get new tuners... make sure that the one extra you get is geared backwards so that it works correctly on the bottom of the headstock. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but i think the 1 extra would have to be different because it's on the other side of the headstock.
  9. The Schaller BM tuners on my Rickenbacker (same tuners come stock on new MusicMans) can be disassembled and reversed, so no need to worry about which way the thing turns.