1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacement tuners have bigger peg

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Faijex, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Faijex

Faijex

Jun 26, 2009
    Iowa and UK
    I recently got a free squire p-bass off of craigslist that needed some work, mainly it needs a new pick-guard, but I figured I might as well turn it into a project bass, because the cheap plastic looking paint wasn't doing it for me.

Anyways my question is if i buy a pair of tuners off of ebay, is it just a matter of drilling the peg holes larger leaving the centers in the same place. Does anyone have any tips on doing this?

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

It's a Squier, not a Squire. You need to remove the tuners and take measurements of the hole through the headstock and the length of the tuning post, then do your homework and buy compatible tuners. Don't get into drilling unnecessarily. You can ruin a headstock quickly by getting a large diameter drill bit jammed or stuck.

3. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    +1 It always pays conduct research before undertaking a project. :)

4. Faijex

Faijex

Jun 26, 2009
    Iowa and UK
    I guess I hadnt considered that, the tuners it came with seem pretty bad, they have 2 fake screws, but buying compatible ones seems like an easier option, guessing drilling 2 screw holes is easier than resizing a peg hole anyhow. still need to decide how to do the finish.

5. Dremel or wrap sandpaper around a dow