Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement Tuning Keys

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff Collett, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Question.....
    does anyone know where I can get replacement tuning keys for my Music Man 5 String?

I've checked a few online stores, but I've never replaced tuning keys before and don't really know what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions on what kind and where I can get em?

2. Try www.stewmac.com

Why do you want to replace them? If you have a problem with tuning stability make sure the nut is properly cut before going any further. I know the tuners seem to be the logical place to start when you have problems with tuning stability but, on a good quality instrument, the problem usually lies elsewhere...and elsewhere is usually the nut. Just my $.02

3. I'm not having a problem with the tuning stability, that is fine. They are just getting old, one of them is broken, I'd like to replace them with new ones. They still stay in tune though.

4. I believe MusicMan basses use Schaller tuning machines, made in Germany. They're certainly my favourite - if you want to keep it original, look for another set of Schallers.

--jeff