replacement warwick pickups/preamp for a warmer tone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jacob Bartfield, Apr 17, 2002.

1. I have a warwick Fortress One bass, and I am happy with the sound I'm getting out of it. It's just that It's not quite deep enough for me. I've done some reading up, and it seems that Bartolini pickups would be a good choice for a replacement, but I'm afraid that I would take away the "warwick" sound. I like the growl of my bass, I would just like it to be a little warmer. Would replacing the preamp do the trick? Are there any pickups out there that produce the growl of MECs, but with more low end? I appreciate any opinions and comments.
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I think most of the Warwick "growl" is from the wenge necks, not the MECs. Many of the older Warwicks came with Barts standard, and my old Thumb 6 with Barts certainly growled...

I think Barts would be a good choice to warm things up. Before you go the rather expensive route of replacing the pickups, though, it might be worthwhile to try different strings. That can make a lot of difference, especially if you go from steels to nickels.
    (I still prefer steels, though...) It's also worth trying a slightly heavier gauge if you want to beef up the low end. But that's another forum. :)

3. Yeah, I actually did that already did that. I use black nylon tape La Bellas (flatwound). They're really heavy gage, (60-115). Strings certaintly do make quite a bit of difference. So I take it that changing the preamp wouldn't be such a good idea?
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    changing the preamp could be a great idea. the MEC preamp is worse than the pickups, IMO. a U-Retro Deluxe or Bart system would be kickin.
  5. Thanks. What about Aguilar? It seems that their preamp is nice.